Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sanchio
Binge Watcher

Re: search has changed when i try to search

Jump to solution

Me too. Seems like they should reply . 

sanchio
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Agreed. If it ain't broke do 't fix it

sanchio
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I think doing a update was my problem was my problem

0 Kudos
sanchio
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I haven't seen any and this being a Roku site they have to have seen all the complaining. At the least someone with Roku could reply

Mike999
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello RokuDanny-R, You replied to the question of the search function last June.  Since then, the number of complaints has multiplied and it is continuing to grow by the hour.  Don't we deserve an update on why the
Search Function now shows icons instead of a list.  This is a very unwelcome change and no one has written in favor of it so far.

EightiesChild
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Same here!  I have a Roku 2 (2015), which is basically a Roku 3, and my Search function still operated as it always had (i.e., displaying names/titles only in the search results) until just a few minutes ago when I attempted to search Roku for a particular movie.  The strange thing is, my Roku firmware/software has not been updated since May, and my Search feature still looked like it should even in August.  Needless to say, I was horrified to discover this awful new image-based search today (September 1, 2022) and immediately took to the Web to try to find a workaround, which led me here.

Before, if I searched for the name of an actor or the title of a show or movie, a textual list of all possible matches appeared, and you could see everything at a glance and quickly determine whether the item was available or not in a matter of seconds.  It was SO fast, convenient, and easy to use!  Now the exact opposite is the case.  Having to hunt through rows and rows of images/large thumbnails (as if in "Grid View") to find what one is looking for would take FOREVER, and not just because the navigation process is very tedious and cumbersome—and it certainly IS—but also because a person has to be able to identify whatever they're looking for JUST by looking at a photo!  It's absolutely AWFUL 

The worst is when you search for an actor (e.g., Sean Astin).  Prior to the horrible "update," the person's entire filmography would be displayed in a chronological vertical list with the release date/year listed next to each title, so it was a BREEZE to quickly locate the desired film/show if it was available.  Now, however, this process is a NIGHTMARE, because Roku makes the user swim through a sea of random rows of images of films that the actor may be in some way connected with, but you can't really tell without having to click on each image to find out more information.  This is freaking RIDICULOUS!!!

I also just discovered that my "recent searches" also can only be browsed as images!  So, whereas in the past, I could see a convenient list of all my past searches and then quickly choose one and search for that info again, now I've no choice but to wade my way through a series of pictures—and even then, it's not exactly what I searched for before.  Unbelievable. 

I cannot imagine how anyone at Roku possibly could've thought that this change would be an improvement.

Roku, PLEASE, for the love of sanity and for the love of your customer base (which will quickly diminish if this terrible change isn't soon remedied), BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL SEARCH FEATURE, or at least have the decency to give your customers the OPTION of using the original text-based search. 

Thanks in advance (but only if you FIX this!).

@RokuDanny-R

Gloria99
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I hate the 'new' search menu - why am I now force-fed icons I would never in my lifetime be interested in and why are some channels no longer included in the search?   I miss the good old days when product changes were improvements not diminishments.

Boz
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R

Can you PLEASE tell us WHY this HORRIBLE search change hasn't been reverted back to the prior ACTUALLY GOOD search system!?

Please.

Kimtsmith

Jump to solution

Not happy with new way searching, not as clear and diverse. Very limited choices and not able to get more ideas just by selecting subject words

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I'm not sure if this is a testing phase any longer or a rollout of this feature as more of my devices now have this new Search implemented on them.

This really does seem to not only be a poor design choice and degradation of the previous working Search function, but every other category is "popular". (popular free, popular TV shows, popular movies).

Basically, you will watch what we think you should you watch, and be happy with what we choose for you.  Many of the smaller channel developers will likely be left out of the searches or buried based on these popular rankings.

I certainly do not care for where I think Roku is headed with this with their channel partners.  This is basically just another "What to Watch" screen in case you disabled it from your Home Screen settings.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102