Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: "continue watching" gone from Roku channel menu

@ska wrote:

I presume the list of what you've watched is kept on the Roku servers and not on the individual receivers. Is that correct?

That seems correct as you can navigate to https://therokuchannel.roku.com/ online with a laptop/mobile device and after logging into your account,  should be able to see the same options available here as your home devices. (Continue Watching, Save List, your installed Channels, some Subscription Channels, etc). 

It would be interesting to know if this issue occurs again on your home device if this is also reflected on the online Roku Channel.  Best you can probably hope for is Roku to acknowledge an issue or forward it for review.

Unfortunately, you will probably never now "why" it happens/happened or what caused it to disappear/reappear.  (just Roku being Roku).  This used to occur occasionally with the "Save List/Add to Save" feature during its initial release, but the Continue Watching feature has been part of Roku for a while now.  Regarding the Save List, I noticed it would be unavailable/temporarily unavailable on one or more of my devices,  but not necessarily all of them.  Some sort of account syncing issue would be my best guess, or perhaps Roku developers tinkering behind the scenes which makes it temporarily unavailable.

Since Roku has daily scheduled automatic software update checks, this may account for why it reappears. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
MultiTechPro
Reel Rookie

The model seems to be immaterial to this issue. It's got to be a Roku Channel problem because I have a Hisense Roku TV that I purchased from Walmart in December of 2021 and a Vizio 42 inch flat screen I purchased 15 years ago and bought a Roku Express 10 years ago. They both had the continue watching list disappear the exact same time tonight. This has happened at least once before I purchased the Hisense Roku TV from Walmart. But it came back, though I can't remember how long it took. Roku appears to have a system problem associated with individual accounts, is what I'm guessing. Roku, are you listening???

This is an addition, in response to another comment that suggested checking the website account, I opened my account and it is also missing there. I think that confirms it's a Roku Channel issue. Again, Roku are you listening???

UPDATE AFTER 12 HOURS:  It's back the next morning. But just another note, while the "continue watching" was missing, I looked up my "Forged in Fire" seasons 5 and 6 that were free while listed in the "continue watching" and even though I could see the next episode that was pending, season 5 episode 5, it required a subscription. Now that my "continue watching" is back I went straight to "Forged in Fire" and there is no longer a subscription required for that same pending episode. Technology is wonderful when it works, Roku how about fixing this. Very annoying when I'm ready to watch something and can't.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@MultiTechPro

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? Where is this feature located that you state is missing? Can you provide screenshots so we can better understand what you are seeing?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ImTznU
Reel Rookie

This makes me crazy! I am about to stop watching the channel. If several seasons/episodes you have to go back through remember which one you last saw and restart it. Such a pain!! 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@ImTznU

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue? Can you provide us an example title that you see this issue with?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ImTznU
Reel Rookie

I just have a Roku box that plugs into the back of my TV. I can't tell the exact model.

An example is that if I am watching something and leave it and then go back to it... it starts over and does not have a resume option.

Right now I have been watching the Flying Nun and Murder She Wrote. So for instance, once I leave Murder She Wrote it resets back to S1 E1 rather than resuming where I left off. I have to go find the show again then jump through previous seasons and episodes to find the next one I need to watch. It doesn't hold my place. I either have to remember where I left off or guess LOL.

It also does not add what I am watching to the "Continue Watching" section. It used to do all the things I have mentioned. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@ImTznU

Appreciate the reply.

In some cases, removing the affected channel and then reinstalling it may help. To ensure the process is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
ImTznU
Reel Rookie

It is only happening on the actual Roku channel, not on Netflix, prime, or any other channels. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@ImTznU

Thanks for the response.

Please see my post above then keep us posted if that will resolve the issue you're experiencing.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Vbp

yes this happens to me several times already.

I watch a show for a bit, than one day it is gone from continue watch list.

I search for it and it only comeup as need a subscription or pay option.

Than a day or two later it is back on the list as nothing happened.