Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyross
Roku Guru

"Weird" advertising in Roku main menu?!?!?!?!?

Just noticed that Roku now has a menu entry for the Weird Al movie coming up this Friday. Using the main menu to create an entry is a sick form of advertising. Thankfully, you can hide it using the Home Screen setting screen.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: "Weird" advertising in Roku main menu?!?!?!?!?

@andyross 

I'd actually prefer to see that little menu item promoting their Original movie than seeing ads for it all over my screen.

Normally, users start seeing little additional ads in the lower corner of their wallpaper whenever promotions like these are occuring.  Easier to disable in settings than having to change your wallpaper and wait until certain promotions have ended.

Just for reference for others reading, this Weird Al is Roku's foray into making Original content. 

https://www.roku.com/blog/introducing-the-weird-the-al-yankovic-story-fan-experience

https://www.roku.com/blog/roku-original-weird#!

---

Hopefully, as long as Roku continues to allow disabling such features through the Settings/Home Screen [Show/Hide], I can consider it a reasoned compromise. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
LisaKT
Reel Rookie

If you mean the "Weird: Exclusive Experience" on the homescreen - I clicked it, went to the purple screen, nothing happened, and now my Roku stick doesn't work. Navigation buttons do nothing.  I can use the Netflix and Hulu buttons on the remote, otherwise nothing....no Prime  AMC+, nothing!!

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@LisaKT, press the reset button on your stick or disconnect the power for a few seconds and then reconnect it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos