Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
E2
Reel Rookie

Re: "Speech recognition" setting not disabling

Dear RokuDanny-R

Many users have been posting on this issue since December 2022. I, too, have had this problem since December 2022 and based on the posts and Roku replies have been patiently awaiting a resolution to this privacy invading inability to turn off Roku’s recording and analyzing my voice against my wishes. My system is: Ultra 4802X, Software 11.5.0, build 4312-C2, device ID S0DA22AP7MCK. The Ultra is feeding a TCL s535 television whose built in Roku does not suffer from this problem. I don’t think Roku realizes the importance of fixing this problem or accords fixing it the attention it deserves to those of us who value their privacy and do not want to be unwilling participants in whatever Roku is doing with the data it gathers when recording our voices. Please stop “investigating” and fix the problem.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hello @E2 

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community with your concerns regarding the speech recognition setting.

Please be aware that the appropriate Roku team is currently investigating this issue. Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

We truly appreciate your patience and understanding in the meantime.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Ru4

Re: "Speech recognition" setting not '

I tried turning off data saver and it didn't work for me.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @Ru4

Thanks for reaching out here in Roku Community. 

We'd like to forward your details to the team to investigate further. Could you provide the details below:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • How long has the issue been occurring?
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more details, we will be able to assist in this matter.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
John311
Reel Rookie

Every time I uncheck the speech recognition box it rechecks itself when I back out. This is illegal. 

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @John311

Thanks for reaching out Roku Community. 

We're sorry to hear that you have also experienced this issue. We're more than happy to help. Have you tried to restart your Roku device and try again? To do this, go to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step) > System restart. 

It didn't help? Keep us posted along with the requested information above so we can submit your details to the team to investigate further.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
johnherrington
Reel Rookie

So how long is Roku going to "keep investigating" how to turn off the switch? Quit asking responders for "more" information!  YOU ARE LISTENING to them already.  I provided all that stuff on the phone already, no results. I filed a BBB complaint and you lied to them. You responded you would CALL ME with in 72 hours....a week and a half ago. The complaint is still running, you apparently don't care.

This is sounding much more like a class action activity for the community. What does everyone else think out there? 

Roku has done nothing on this matter but lie since 3 Feb. for me. 

John311
Reel Rookie

Yes I have restarted it. 

0 Kudos
E2
Reel Rookie

Nimfa,

Roku has been “investigating” this matter for several months. It is a known problem to both your customers and Roku. Yet, you keep asking for information that has been supplied to you by numerous users, numerous times. Roku has been acting as though they’re still trying to determine if there is a problem in the first place rather than fixing a problem they have been made fully aware of. It appears to me that Roku has been and is stalling on this issue for reasons that are unclear. As a longtime user and buyer of Roku products I am fully prepared to switch streamers to Amazon Fire or Apple TV. Functionally, your products suit my needs more closely but I refuse to have my home and privacy invaded against my will by Roku. I’m giving this issue one more month to be resolved and if it is not I will replace my Roku devices, disable internet connectivity for my Roku televisions, and replace my streamers with another brand. Additionally, I promise Roku that I will post harsh reviews of their products, customer service, and contempt for their users on every social media site I can lay hands on. Shame on you.

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users,

Thanks for sharing your observation.

We appreciate you informing us about the issue with speech recognition being unable to be disabled and we sincerely apologized for any inconvenience this issue has caused.

We are currently aware of the issue and our appropriate team is working diligently to resolve the issue. In the meantime, please help us with the required details below so we can send additional information for the investigation to our engineering team: 

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Rest assured once more information is available I'll be sure to update this Community thread. We appreciate you bearing with us in the meantime.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos