Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gotv8

Re: "Customizing the Live TV Channel Guide" feature not available in my TCL Roku TV

With the new update there isn't an option anymore to hide channels or create favorites! I have a Roku tv, Roku express, and have had streaming stick and several Roku TV's. One only lasted 1 yr then just went blank nothing no coming on no light zip. I bought 2 at same time. The 2nd one lasted 3 yrs and is now just shutting down on its on even after troubleshooting which I know how to do very well. I liked how I could hide channels, create my favorites for antenna tv with an HDTV antenna or without an antenna at all for live channels broadcasted with commercials that we all don't like but like to have on in background just for noise factor. With new update this goes away unless u purchase other equipment not sold by Roku like set top receiver I see other users on here suggesting. To a lot of us we don't want to buy or drag out other equipment to get something we had before they changed it with an upgrade! In this world the upgrades cause plenty folks issues of having to Do something new or extra or change how they are used to accessing something. I say let's go back to freaking customer service when we controlled what we wanted as consumers and the companies listened because ultimately we spend money and they get rich off our purchases. I'm fine u gotta make money but don't be greedy get back to customer satisfaction being #1 priority!!! U wanna keep people coming back again and again then do what we ask! I will not buy more Roku tvs mainly because of not being able to customize my channels hide ones I don't want create my favorites and make things easy between live tv, and paid subscription like Amazon, Netflix etc! I dreamed 30 yrs ago of choosing channels that I wanted only via cable n then we got ability to cut cord n stream tv but then now it has gone right back to paying for one subscription to get these shows and another to get these and so many channels it is insane. I still hope to see one day an option to have all the things I want personally customized for my viewing all in one place with a guide to boot! N option to skip or not have commercials on live tv or streaming and no ads anywhere floating etc!! I can still dream!!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Re: how to Customize the Live TV Channel Guide in Roku 10

I think I found a workaround for this issue of not being able to customize the antenna and streaming channels of the free TV on Roku.

The trick is to go into the guide while you’re watching live TV by pressing the left arrow.

Then scroll down and select (watch) each of the channels that you want to keep (going back to the guide each time) and once you made it through the entire guide, press the star options button and choose the option to show “recent channels” instead of “all channels” and that at least will only show you the channels that you watched.  I’m not sure how many channels are kept in “recent” and it looks like it doesn’t remember by channel order but at least it’s something.

Be very careful not to watch channels you don’t want to show up. 

It is not a perfect solution by any means and a very annoying design flaw.  I’m sure it’s not a ROKU issue as much as a TCL issue as we had no trouble selecting and hiding channels on our previous ROKU TV by Hitachi which has better options for live TV as does Vizio, Samsung and many others. Honestly this lack of customization is a reason I will not buy another TCL Roku. 
#TCL #rokutv

Tags (3)
0 Kudos

Re: "Customizing the Live TV Channel Guide" feature not available in my TCL Roku TV

Any idea on when this feature will be available? Its fairly misleading to be touting a feature with the latest release when its not really available yet. I've wasted a lot of time researching how to do it to finally stumble on this thread explaining that what I have been told I can do, I really can't yet.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@SarahSaunders24 

No. Roku said it's coming, nothing more.

As with all upcoming functionality, anyone with knowledge would be under a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) and could not share that, so you won't get an answer except from Roku, and they'll announce that on the Roku Blog: https://blog.roku.com/ 

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
DRBones310

My mother is dealing with this issue right now and it really is frustrating. I was able to check her favorite channels but I'm not able to customize the guide to show only her favorites. I'll try what the YouTube link shows in a previous post and hope it works but i have to say this is a huge failure by Roku at the most basic level. At the end of the day, it's a tv and you should be able to key in specific channels without having to surf. 

Le_Mat
Channel Surfer

This feature seems to be available now on the inexpensive "ROKU Express Media Player" that I purchased a month or two ago.  I am able to hide channels and create a favorites list.  It also allows me to filter channels according to categories (news, sports, crime, kids, etc.)  That's very helpful, actually.   

I've been trying to find a way to add or remove the sources for the live-tv (as you can do with Fire TV).  I like the "Freevee" channel, which is available on Roku, and would like to see some of that content in the live tv listings (as I do on the Fire TV listings).

0 Kudos
Le_Mat
Channel Surfer

I will need to check, later, precisely how to do it, but you can definitely add particular channels to your favorites and then, in the vertical menu bar, on the left, filter the channel to show only your favorites.

0 Kudos
Le_Mat
Channel Surfer

My last reply was to an old message which I mistankenly thought was current.  Sorry...

0 Kudos