Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Puzzled1
Binge Watcher

Re: having to reactivate my Roku account

My Roku is stuck back in the activation cycle again.
I got it to complete the activation cycle this morning, and the unit was working then.
But it has gone bad again.
0 Kudos
Puzzled1
Binge Watcher

Got an email from Customer Support this afternoon:

Hello m_and_j_sonntag,

We've added an update to your support request #(4873088).

To add additional comments, reply to this email.

Sincerely,

Roku Customer Support

0 Kudos
Puzzled1
Binge Watcher

Here is an inconsistency regarding serial numbers.

In an earlier communication, I was asked to input the serial number as found on the bottom of the malfunctioning Roku unit.

That serial number was 7G2697945131.

That same number is on the label on the box the unit came in when we bought it.

In our Roku account that serial number does not appear.

We have two Roku devices, and two Roku devices show up in our account as the following serial numbers: 

YG0013601050

and

18G35V029973

In the activation process this morning, I named the device "Roku_upstairs".

That device shows up in our Roku account with serial number YU007T945131

I don't know whether this information is significant in regard to the problem, but I'm supplying it anyway in the event that it might be.

0 Kudos
Puzzled1
Binge Watcher

Here is status as of 9/30/2021:

The other (downstairs) Roku unit had a problem powering up earlier, but that problem went away on its own, and that unit is working.

The upstairs Roku unit wanted a reactivation again, so I went through the process, this time naming it Roku_upstairs2.

In our account, the previous name Roku_upstairs is gone and Roku_upstairs2 appears, indicating a serial number of YU007T945131

The reactivation completed successfully, and all but one channel (YouTube) loaded successfully.

I tried twice to add YouTube, but it failed both times.

I predict that the activation will not last.

0 Kudos
Puzzled1
Binge Watcher

The upstairs Roku unit went bad again.

So...here is what we have: the Roku network communicating over the internet through my wireless router to one Roku unit downstairs and another Roku unit upstairs.  There is also my desktop computer communicating through my router to the internet.

Need to find out what part of this chain is failing.

Given that my desktop computer is working fine and that my wireless router is showing no indications of problems and that my downstairs Roku unit works fine most of the time, I suspect the problem is elsewhere.

What if the upstairs Roku unit is malfunctioning?  There is an easy way to find out.  Went to Walmart and bought a Roku HD unit and installed it upstairs.  Went through the activation sequence without any issues, and it loaded all channels as well as YouTube.  Seems to be working fine.  Will give it a few days before calling the problem fixed though.

0 Kudos
Puzzled1
Binge Watcher

The new Roku unit is working with one peculiarity:  After I turn on power and turn on the flatscreen monitor and then select a video on YouTube via Roku, I get an error message about a high bandwidth device being detected, and I have to disconnect my power cable and signal cable and reconnect them.  After that it works fine.  This happens every time I power up.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

@Puzzled1

Thanks for the updates and we do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Since you are in recent contact with our Support team, we recommend continuing to work with them to resolve the issue you are experiencing as they would best be able to assist you moving forward.

Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos