Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gosparky99
Reel Rookie

can't disable roku talking when I adjust the TV volume

Jump to solution

I have a Streaming Stick 4K. Yesterday it started talking when I adjust the TV volume, telling me what number the volume is at, e.g. "Volume 11" or "Mute".  WTF?!!!  It's not the Screen Reader.  I have that disabled and when I enable it, it starts - yes - reading the screen like it's supposed to, and when I disable it, it stops.  I can't find any setting about the problem I'm having but I'm ready to rip this roku out of my TV and buy a different streaming device that doesn't talk to me every time I adjust the TV volume.  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: can't disable roku talking when I adjust the TV volume

Jump to solution

Hi @socmft,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

You may have accidentally enabled "Screen reader" and that's why your Roku player sounds like it's been talking to you. You can turn off Audio Guide by pressing the * button on your remote 4 times quickly.

For more information, visit our Support page here: How to enable the text-to-speech screen reader on your Roku® streaming device

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Best regards,
Mary

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
Carina07
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Did you figure out how to mute the voice when raising or lowering the sound with your remote? I have a Roku 4k device. I inadvertently must have activated something on my remote when muting or unmuting the sound on the TV then when I raise or lower the volume on my remote a voice will announce the number if I'm raising or lowering the volume. I have spent a great deal of time trying to find info on this and I'm obviously not putting in the right words to acquire the info. If you are able to help, I appreciate it. Thanks!

Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Like the OP said above, it was the TV.  A good clue is the fact that *something* was announcing the volume number and a Roku media player wouldn't know that.

Carina07
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

That is puzzling since I seem to inadvertently did something with the Roku remote and not with my TV remote. When I turn the TV on or adjust the volume I don't use the TV remote and only the Roku remote--something isn't right. I would like to reach out to someone with Roku, but trying to reach out to someone about these matters seems to be an impossibility. I have spent a lot of time trying to find information, but obviously I must not be putting in the correct search criterion. I have no idea how the change occurred to make it start talking, but have no idea how to turn it off.

In regards, to the reply you referenced above; I don't know if they have an LG Smart TV or how what the info they stated would work with my TV.🤷🏻‍♀️

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Carina07, whatever happened it almost certainly happened to your TV.  No Roku device knows what the volume setting of your TV is, so there's no way it could read it to you.  At best the Roku remote can raise or lower the volume, but it doesn't know what it was or what it is.  Whether or not you used the TV remote control or it picked up some kind of stray signal and interpreted as coming from the TV remote it's a setting within your TV that you'll need to change.  Roku wouldn't be able to help you with that and you shouldn't expect them to.  Use your TV's remote and go through the TV's settings.  If you need help with that post the manufacturer and model number of the TV and someone here will probably be kind enough to look it up.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Shelleyann
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having this same issue, is there an answer here?

0 Kudos
Shelleyann
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Fixed it. For a Sony tv, in the tv remote settings, under “accessibility” choose “talk back” and turn it off. I think it did get accidentally turned on through the Roku remote, though. That is the only one I was using when the incident began. 

Carina07
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I was away last week, but once I returned home I tried my LG TV remote to turn off the "talk back" option and after some troubleshooting I was finally successful in stopping that option. Like Shelleyann, I'm sure I somehow caused that option to occur through my Roku remote, but had to undo it with the LG remote. At this point, the problem is solved.

socmft
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having this problem but Roku is announcing EVERYTHING not just volume. It announces when I change channels, etc….everything. It is not the TV - I have switched to another TV and it is still doing it.  ???

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @socmft,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

You may have accidentally enabled "Screen reader" and that's why your Roku player sounds like it's been talking to you. You can turn off Audio Guide by pressing the * button on your remote 4 times quickly.

For more information, visit our Support page here: How to enable the text-to-speech screen reader on your Roku® streaming device

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Best regards,
Mary