Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a Roku Upgrade Help?

Jump to solution

I bought a Roku Express in 12/2019 because it was the cheapest one at the store and I based my purchase entirely on that factor.  We had a sketchy internet connection and I wasnt sure it was going to work at all for us.  Since then we were able to get a fiber connection,  I get 480ish on a 500 Mbps plan on a wired connection.  Wifi is typically around 90 - 100 Mbps.  We typically have apps like Disney+ and Paramount+ freeze and crash back to the home screen, but others seem ok.

Will upgrading to a Roku Ultra so I can use a wired ethernet connection help me?

Thanks

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Will a Roku Upgrade Help?

Jump to solution

Possibly.  A wired connection is certainly less problematic than a wireless connection.  The number one cause of problems with devices like the Express is probably people trying to use the TV's USB port for power instead of the supplied power adapter, so if you're doing that then try the supplied power adapter.  Otherwise, the Ultra with its wired connection certainly couldn't make things worse.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Another issue is that the basic Express 3900 and Express+ 3931 has very little memory. Both for channel storage (256M) and RAM (512M) for actually running the OS and apps. If it constantly has to download apps whenever you go to run one, then that is a sign. The Express 4K and higher current models have 4GB of channel storage, and 1GB (2GB on Ultra) of RAM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Possibly.  A wired connection is certainly less problematic than a wireless connection.  The number one cause of problems with devices like the Express is probably people trying to use the TV's USB port for power instead of the supplied power adapter, so if you're doing that then try the supplied power adapter.  Otherwise, the Ultra with its wired connection certainly couldn't make things worse.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Another issue is that the basic Express 3900 and Express+ 3931 has very little memory. Both for channel storage (256M) and RAM (512M) for actually running the OS and apps. If it constantly has to download apps whenever you go to run one, then that is a sign. The Express 4K and higher current models have 4GB of channel storage, and 1GB (2GB on Ultra) of RAM.

0 Kudos