Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Happy_Pants
Reel Rookie

Which window??

I was wondering if you folks have a preference regarding the window that I throw this piece of **bleep** out of.   Should I throw the ONN sound bar off of my balcony or out of my bedroom window????  I could hit a passerby if I use the balcony. If I throw it out of the bedroom window, it would shatter nicely when it hits the pavement.  So, what do you think?  

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Which window??

Is there a specific issue you are having causing this, or just on general principle as a lifelong soundbar bigot?

Barring any help/solution, I'd recommend taking it back to Walmart, either for a refund, or as entryway refuse.

0 Kudos
Happy_Pants
Reel Rookie

Unfortunately, this thing worked just fine for about a week and a half. Hence, I haven't a box or a receipt. Now I can't get the TV to turn on without first unplugging everything for about 15 minutes. Then, I have to try and turn the sound bar off before the LED turns green. Then I have to use the TV remote to turn on the TV and then turn the sound bar on.  Unfortunately, this only seems to work about 50% of the time. Before anybody asks, I did connect the bar and the TV via settings.  I hate to say this but I do believe that I am becoming a sound bar bigot.  I may tell it that I'm going to throw it out of a window and then do it when the bar least expects it and then I'll laugh right in it's buttons.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

(I personally dont recommend soundbars, or ONN products, so the two of them seems a match made in hel...errr...Walmart)

As a general principle and practice, I keep all boxing and receipts for everything non-perishable I buy, especially from Walmart, just because something like this can/does happen. (FYI, if you can find some sort of packaging, they can look up the receipt given a CC/DC/card).

I dont suppose this soundbar has firmware that can be updated, and that you havent yet updated, that may magically fix all the issues?

Does this source of ultimate joy and happiness have a name and model #?

0 Kudos
Happy_Pants
Reel Rookie

Hello

Unfortunately, unless I buy something big, I don't keep anything. I suspect the cost of postage and aggravation would far outweigh the cost of a replacement. Anywho, under model # I found 9100X-onn Roku Smart Soundbar. I'm not quite sure what firmware is but I did go through settings until I found something to update and update I did.  Any Ideas?

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

(I actually have a little storage area dedicated to said packaging, due to my obvious faith in consumer product reliability/utility value)

Unfortunately I've seen similar/nearly identical reports to yours in terms of ONN soundbar/system behavior.

Assuming your TV's & Roku's firmware is up to date, its possible a future firmware update could address many/most/all of the issues.

To check your model #/firmware/etc go to Settings/System/About

How are you connecting it to your TV? via HDMI/ARC, or Optical? (You shouldnt use both) What is the brand/model of your TV?

0 Kudos
Happy_Pants
Reel Rookie

The TV is a Sceptre which I had never heard of but it's wonderful.  It does not have HDMI ARC so I use the optical cable thing .  I don't know that my TV would  need to be updated. It's not a smart TV.

0 Kudos