Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IcedTea9974
Reel Rookie

Which Roku model selection?

We cut the cord!

I'm old school and prefer a wired connection for ethernet and OTA, which model if any has the capability of both connecting to my home network and my OTA antenna?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Which Roku model selection?

No stand-alone Roku player has a tuner, so none will connect to an antenna - only a Roku TV has a tuner.  The only Roku device that has an Ethernet jack is the Ultra (or Ultra LT sold at Walmart).  Some devices allow a separate USB Ethernet adapter to be connected.

Roku TVs are not made by Roku and some have Ethernet jacks and some don't.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
mawrigh42

How do you select the correct type of Roku for your home?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hi @mawrigh42 

Thanks for the post.

We do not have enough details from your original message to make an effective suggestion. Could you tell us more about your concern?

With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
IcedTea9974
Reel Rookie

Wanting to make sure we can get all of the OTA channels that are available to us.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

No Roku player will provide you with OTA channels. They don't have tuners. There are networked OTA tuners that have apps/channels available on Roku devices. I use the Silicon Dust HDHomeRun Flex 4K, which provides four separate tuners so four different people could be watching different channels. It's also capable of recording OTA programs, but that doesn't involve the Roku, and requires configuration via a computer. 

There are other network tuners available, but I'm not familiar enough to make any suggestions. Silicon Dust sells several different models. The one I mentioned above also supports ATSC 3.0, which is the new digital TV standard for North America. While it will offer the ability of 4K OTA broadcasts, I'm not aware of any station actually broadcasting in 4K at the moment. This is still a new technology, and not all stations are broadcasting 3.0 yet. In my area (near Seattle) I have ten separate stations broadcasting in 3.0, but these are still in testing mode, and these ten stations are actually only using two or three frequencies. They haven't migrated their existing stations (with their sub-channels) onto the 3.0 standard yet. Since there's so few TVs available yet with 3.0 tuners, it will be some time before they all switchover. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.