Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dunnill
Reel Rookie

Where is Audio Guide / Screen Reader?

Hi,

I've just got a Roku TV (TCL brand) and it has accessibility options for Audio Description, namely Off, Low, Medium, and High.  However it has no effect.  

My wife is blind and I hoped this would work.  Otherwise it's impossible for her to effectively use the TV.  It doesn't seem to enable Audio Description in the apps or even on its own menu.

I've also tried pressing **** which other forums suggested turned on/off "screen reader".  But this combo does not work and the TV does not change the accessibility options.

PS I've updated it and it notes that it is 11.5.0 version

Update 07 Dec 22

I've update the title as it seems the feature I am after is Audio Guide or Screen Reader.  But they are no where to be found in setting.  Any ideas on how to add/fix them?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Audio description does nothing?

For there to be a working audio description of what is taking place on the screen, the creators of the programming must have included an alternate audio file you can select which contains the narration.  Not all programs have such an alternate audio file, in fact I'd say most do not.

If you are watching such a program and have selected the appropriate audio file, THEN your Audio Narration volume setting should apply.

The Roku default method of accessing your choice of audio track is to press the * key on your Roku remote while viewing the program and examining the options presented.  The options presented will vary depending on the options available for any particular program.

But more and more channels are not using the Roku default but substituting their own method of access -- I'm guessing this is so they will have consistent controls with versions of their app running on platforms other than Roku. Often these options are accessed by pressing the up and/or down cursor control keys while viewing the program to pop the channel's own control options on the screen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Dunnill
Reel Rookie

Thanks @makaiguy I can't say I'm surprised that the individual apps don't play well with a universal setting.  I can live with that as the wife prefers live TV.  The issue is Roku's own menu system does not seem support audio description.

I.e. I expected when I turned it on to Go "Home, Live TV selected", then when you press OK it says "Live TV Selected, Channel BBC1, Now showing BBC News, Next BBC Weather".  Likewise if I pressed guide for it to speak out the options.  Any ideas how that can be enabled?  I don't have a Screen Reader option that some forums mention but I assume Audio Description has taken it's place.

My wife has a special blind Freeview upstairs that does this. But not all TV programs, especially the old ones, actually have audio description on the program.  The issue I have is this box is ancient and creaky as they don't make them.  So I was hoping this TV would work.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Sorry, I may have misinterpreted.  You might be referring to this:

Voice announcement of Roku menus, button presses, etc.
A feature called Screen Reader (renamed from Audio Guide in Roku version 10.5) announces where you are in the Roku menus for the benefit of the visually impaired. This feature can be toggled on/off by pressing the * key on your Roku remote four times in a short period of time.

In menu path Settings > Accessibility go to the Screen Reader section. there you'll find (at least that's what I see here in the US, perhaps there are regional differences):

• Screen reader - turn on or off manually
  • Speech rate - adjust reader rate for when Screen reader is on
  • Volume - adjust volume setting for when Screen reader is on
  • Shortcut - enable/disable the four-* shortcut for toggling Screen reader on/off.
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

0 Kudos
Dunnill
Reel Rookie

Hmm @makaiguy that is interesting.  I looked at the accessibility options and don't have Screen Reader or Audio Guide.  I assumed Audio Description 'replaced' it as they're features for the blind to use.  I will see if I can rename the question to Where is Audio Guide/Screen Reader?  As it's MIA on my Roku!

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@Dunnill-

I've just checked my TCL Roku TV in addition to a couple of Roku devices, and they all show "Screen reader", not "Audio description" under Settings > Accessibility.  I'm in the US, if you are not, perhaps this is a regional difference (?).

0 Kudos
Dunnill
Reel Rookie

I'm thinking that you maybe right, different regions using a different phrase for the same thing.  Hopefully someone from the UK can weigh in.  

0 Kudos