Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's with the ads blocking the screen?

The new ads that pop up and cover half the screen are not only annoying, but sometimes they don't go away when I resume watching and I have to back out of the movie and reload it. Also, when I want to check out the credits or another screenshot, the ad pops up and blocks the screen! This really makes for a bad viewing experience and if it continues I may look for another alternative. Or do you have an opt-out provision?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: What's with the ads blocking the screen?

What channel/app are you using when this happens?  I've never seen what you're describing.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

The Westin Hotel ad blocks the right half of screen and will not go away. Happens on Paramount and CBS so far.  Have to go out of video and restart. This is stupid.

0 Kudos
Gregster2

It  just started  happening to me in the past couple of days on the Roku channel using a 3820X - Streaming Stick 4K. It's only a CVS ad this has popped up to cover at least a quarter of the screen with no countdown timer or any option other than scanning the QR code. There's no  clear way to get rid of it let alone keep it from showing up again. It's annoying. I just hope I  don't start seeing more of the behavior on other channels.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@astroturtle wrote:

The Westin Hotel ad blocks the right half of screen and will not go away. Happens on Paramount and CBS so far.  Have to go out of video and restart. This is stupid.

Paramount and CBS are the same company, so likely the same programmers for their channels. Sounds like they've programmed a problem into their channels, and only they can fix it. I don't use any CBS channels, so haven't seen those problems. It's never occurred on Prime Video, YouTube or any of the ones I do use. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos