Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theMezz
Streaming Star

What is the maximum size micro SD card for Roku Ultra ‎4662RW box?

Jump to solution

What is the maximum size micro SD card for Roku Ultra ‎4662RW box? 128GB too big?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: What is the maximum size micro sd card for Roku Ultra ‎4662RW box? 128GB too big?

Jump to solution

It doesn't need to be very big. If you need to buy one, just get something small and cheap. I have a 32GB in my Roku4, and that's just because I had one laying around. It's only using 2.1% of it according to the settings/about screen.

For reference, current Roku's, other than the basic Express and Soundbar, have 8GB of channel storage (what the SD card expands.)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: What is the maximum size micro sd card for Roku Ultra ‎4662RW box? 128GB too big?

Jump to solution

HI @theMezz,

Thanks for the post.

Adding a micro SD card allows you to expand the amount of internal memory available for installing channels and games from the Roku Channel Store. The micro SD card is not used for the storage of personal media such as photos, videos, or music.

For best results, we recommend a Class 2 or greater micro SD card with a minimum of 2GB storage. You can order a micro SD card from Roku. For full information on this, you can take a look at this link: How to increase player memory with a micro SD card | Official Roku Support

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know in case you've still got any questions.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
theMezz
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

So 2GB is the minimum size - good to know, but what is the maximum size we can use? 

0 Kudos
theMezz
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

You say we can order a micro sd card from Roku, yet that accessory is not on the accessory pages

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories#item-SD02

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It doesn't need to be very big. If you need to buy one, just get something small and cheap. I have a 32GB in my Roku4, and that's just because I had one laying around. It's only using 2.1% of it according to the settings/about screen.

For reference, current Roku's, other than the basic Express and Soundbar, have 8GB of channel storage (what the SD card expands.)

theMezz
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I have a 128GB spare but some devices do not recognize it as it is too big.

I also have 8GB spare and was wondering if that was even worth using on a Roku box. 

Looks like 64GB might be the sweet spot unless someone things 8GB is worth using.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@theMezz, 2GB is plenty, but they're not really available.  8GB is overkill and 64GB is way overkill.  If you have an 8GB card, use it.  Roku devices can be finicky about what card they'll recognize, so use whatever one works if the 8GB one doesn't.  It's only used for channel storage and only minimally affects channel launch time.  Other than getting rid of the nag to use one, they're really not necessary and often cause strange problems you would never think could be associated with a memory card.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

There are occasional problems where something gets corrupted and the Roku won't boot. You remove the card, make sure the Roku reboots, put the card in another device and let that format it. Then put it back in the Roku and let it format for Roku. 

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@theMezz-

There used to be lots of discussion about this but not much lately since Rokus started including much more memory in their players.

Everything I've ever seen says a Roku will use only 2 MB of the card, no matter how much bigger it is.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
FreakyDude

Jump to solution

Though its not clearly stated, 32G appears to be the maximum recommended size. While larger might work, it is not recommended.

0 Kudos