Viewing issues with every app has progressed to unwatchable
Model 3820X Streaming Stick 4K, Software Version 11.0.0, build 4193-CU straight into a Sony Bravia. Auto-detect display settings settles on Full High Definition 1080p, HDCP 1.4. Issue started months ago with chronic HDCP error on Hulu. It has progressed to other apps...a black screen on PlutoTV, frozen picture on MLB and FOX News, etc. It has gotten to the point the unit is unwatchable as I constantly have to close out of whatever app I'm watching and going back in. I have tried every suggested fix I could find on this support site. I have contacted support via email so much, they have stopped responding to my emails. Considering the length of time I've been dealing with this and the extensive effort I've made to remedy it, my question is this:
Is this unit shot? Is it time to throw it in the garbage and find something new?
Certainly can't rule out a bad device or just a compatibility issue between your TV and the device. Nothing inherent, just some devices don't play well with each other.
On the Roku side (even though you may have done some/all of these things), I would do all these together.
1. Factory Reset the device and get new start. Only install the channels/apps you need to free up some resources.
2. Disable the Power Savings feature. (Settings/System/Power/Auto Power Savings 20 min [disable]
3. Use the default Roku Theme and a default Roku Screensaver (or no screensaver for testing).
4. Use a different HDMI cable.
5. Verify plugged into the wall outlet rather than the TV USB power port.
6. Try and tweak network. See if any difference between using 2.4ghz and 5ghz band. Try using a mobile hotspot if available to you to see if performance increases. If better on hotspot, then maybe trying some different wireless channels in network may help.
For the 2.4 ghz band, try channels 1, 6, or 11 and lower channel width to 20 mhz.
For the 5 ghz, try using a channel between 36-48, or 149-161 rather than using Auto. Lower channel width to 40mhz.
7. Try using the mobile remote app from the Apple/Play store rather than the physical Roku remote. (Take batteries out of remote - help rule out a defective remote/interference from the RF remote).
8. If performance improves with the above steps but still receiving HDCP errors, at this point I would use an HDMI switch between the Roku device and my TV that ignores HDCP requests. Alternatively, if no loyalty to Roku, I would try another brand streaming device and see if you get a better experience and compatibility between your devices.
Feel free to post an update or if still having issues.
Roku Community Streaming Expert Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee. Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102
Re: Viewing issues with every app has progressed to unwatchable
Thank you for the suggestions. I did a factory reset, disabled the power savings feature, reset the screen saver back to default(it seems to change on its own) and stopped using the remote control device. I have been running without the HDCP error since the reset.
The stick connects directly to the Bravia, so there is no HDMI cable to swap out. I did try tweaking my network settings, but that caused too many other problems on the network, so I set it back.
So as far as the HDCP problem, seems like the factory reset did the trick(so far). It still behaves oddly, particularly starting at the beginning of a show/game broadcast when I channel surf in Hulu, rather than starting live, even when I select "watch live".
I'm going to put the batteries back in the remote and use that for awhile and see how it goes.
Seems like a factory reset would have been the best course of action from the beginning. It wasn't that tough to do, and didn't cause any problems getting things back up and running.