Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AntiAI_TVprgrms
Reel Rookie

‘View Config/Amoeba Info’

Jump to solution

Attempting to familiarize myself with my Roku’s settings and menus and learning what I can along the way…found ‘View Config/Amoeba Info’.  Config name reads: ”11.5.0 Malone His His Platform Config” and Amoeba Info displays: “Test=6XUzicoRM”.  Also there appears to be quite a bit of technical data for ‘Bucket’ and ‘Test’.  (A highly detailed technical answer isn’t necessary but a brief description of the type of info this is would be appreciated.)

So, a couple of questions:

1) Does each Roku television have a unique configuration name?  Searched Google and didn’t find anything remotely close.  

2) What is Amoeba Info?  Appears to be an app/channel that features content for children.  What is this term be referring to in my settings menu? 

Thanks in advance for your time. 

Model: 58R6+

Hardware Id: C232X

Software version: 11.5.0 - Build 4216-94

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: ‘View Config/Amoeba Info’

Jump to solution

1) Yes, the code name is based on the device's capabilities.  You can see them all here:  Hardware specifications | Roku Developer.  I'd say they're not useful to most users other than to see what devices have the same capabilities.

2) I've never seen such a thing.  Can you post a picture of your screen where you're seeing this?  Is your TV in some kind of service mode?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
renojim

Jump to solution

1) Yes, the code name is based on the device's capabilities.  You can see them all here:  Hardware specifications | Roku Developer.  I'd say they're not useful to most users other than to see what devices have the same capabilities.

2) I've never seen such a thing.  Can you post a picture of your screen where you're seeing this?  Is your TV in some kind of service mode?

AntiAI_TVprgrms
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

C8D0ED89-C010-494B-B4B9-E7A6213186BF.jpeg

No, my tv isn’t in service mode.  It was suggested in another discussion that should a Roku owner desire a greater amount control over their device that one should access any of the several ‘hidden’ Roku menus - instructions can be found searching Google. 

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

I see.  Roku doesn't want us "streaming experts" to discuss secret menus here and I doubt you'll get any official response from Roku.  I have to admit it looks interesting, but I don't even have a guess as to what it could be.  It's been a while since I've looked at any of the hidden menus, but I can tell that they often change with each update.

0 Kudos
AntiAI_TVprgrms
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

At the risk of being labeled as overly cautious or paranoid I have to ask - since I posted that pic of my screen…does anything there come across as ‘out of place’ or curious?  If I am understanding ‘buckets’ correctly, these are basically named files that contain Roku content, or content that works with a specific corresponding app?

Am I close? Perhaps I should change my Google search terms because I’m just not finding much of a definitive answer.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AntiAI_TVprgrms
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply, but I find that somewhat interesting seeing as how Roku welcomes app/channel development from its customers.  I can’t think of a more appropriate venue to discuss topics of a technical nature.

I am aware though that technical experts in related fields have a way of peer-pressuring one another from ‘pulling back the curtain’ - for lack of a better term - and, some just prefer to keep the ignorant ignorant.  I’m certainly not suggesting either of those reasons for your decision to not share knowledge…I’m just saying that I get it.

Reno, Nevada or Reno, Texas Jim?

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@AntiAI_TVprgrms, keep in mind that I'm just a user like you.  My knowledge of the "secret" menus isn't any better or worst than most users (that know they even exist).  They just don't want us to suggest using the menus to fix some problem probably since that "fix" may be eliminated with the next update.  I'm not real sure why they exist other than possibly for in-house testing/information.  I've never seen a Roku employee ask for some information from any of those menus to solve a problem here.  Interestingly I recently used one to configure a remote to use CEC instead of IR (which I wouldn't have known was a possibility if I hadn't seen it mentioned here), so I can see a use for them, but at the same time it makes me wonder if the next update will eliminate that option.

I don't know how many people dig into those menus like you have, so that's probably why there isn't any information online.

Reno, Nevada! 🙂

0 Kudos