Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Streaming Stick 4k USB charger to charge iPhone?

Jump to solution

I bought a Streaming Stick 4k 3820R2.

First brought it up using the wall charger, which worked fine.  Then tried it on the USB power port on the TV, which worked fine -- that was nice.

Not needing the Roku USB charger for the Stick, I tried to use it with a regular USB/Lightning cable to charge my iPhone -- but nothing happens.  

Says output is 5V and 1A.  Shouldn't this work?  Is there something wrong with the charger?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Using Streaming Stick 4k USB charger to charge iPhone?

Jump to solution

@JohnInWoodside

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that the charging cable that comes with Roku devices are intended for Roku devices and may not be compatible with other devices for charging.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Any USB charger should work with an iPhone.   But the 1 amp (5 watt) Roku charger may be lower output than iPhone charger supplied with your phone and so the charge rate may be much lower than you are used to, in some cases low enough that the phone may not indicate it is charging.

Depending on what iPhone you have, it may have been supplied with a 5 volt USB power adapter with ratings of 5 watt (1 amp), 10W/2.1A,  12W/2.4A.  

Newer Apple USB-C adapters currently are 18W and 20W.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have an older iPhone, which charges fine from a 1A charger (small Apple one, or my various generic ones).

The Roku charger powers the Stick;  but with a USB/Lightning cable [that worked on my generic charger] the iPhone still does not see the charger (i.e., no "lightning bolt" showing)......

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@JohnInWoodside

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that the charging cable that comes with Roku devices are intended for Roku devices and may not be compatible with other devices for charging.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos