Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off display option not available after update

Ever since my tv updated there hasn’t been the option to turn off display while listening to music. What can I do to get it back?

23 REPLIES 23
mrei

Re: Turn off display option not available after update

Did you get a workaround for the option of turning off the display while just listening?

dbdarrough
Binge Watcher

I have the same problem. After the update the option to turn off display disappeared. I'm on a Roku TV, a TCL 55 p607. I really love that feature and hope it will come back soon

kajsidog
Channel Surfer

Workaround: Using the provided remote and voice command, "Turn off screen" or "Turn off display" usually works.(Sometimes it says that option is not available.)

I really hope it comes back to the menu though as we use a universal remote. It also seems specific to app. iHeart Radio still has it as a menu item while it's gone from Spotify and usually YouTube.

dbdarrough
Binge Watcher

Thanks! That totally works. I do hope it comes back to the menu but I am so glad you posted this workaround! I tested it both with the remote and also using the Roku app on my Samsung phone and both work when you do the voice command. Smiley Very Happy

@kajsidog wrote:

Workaround: Using the provided remote and voice command, "Turn off screen" or "Turn off display" usually works.(Sometimes it says that option is not available.)

I really hope it comes back to the menu though as we use a universal remote. It also seems specific to app. iHeart Radio still has it as a menu item while it's gone from Spotify and usually YouTube.

kajsidog
Channel Surfer

Great to hear. I didn't even realize the app has voice commands @dbdarrough That allows me to get the coffee table back to a single remote. High-five!

colgate

Darn, that workaround had me excited for a second, but my TV (TCL S425) seems to only say "Unable to turn off the display".

Also on my playback screen (before the bouncing icon screensaver kicks in), it says "Options (*)" but then it doesn't respond to the star (*) button on the remote in the first place. Seems like that's where this feature would be if a menu would actually open!

0 Kudos
Chealer
Reel Rookie

My 55R617 has the same error (""Unable to turn off the display") if I try that in YouTube.

0 Kudos
csimpson

I also get the same error - "Unable to turn off the display" - with my 55R617. The voice command work around doesn't work, nor does turning off the display in the (*) Options. 

Anyone?

Make sure you've got Settings / System / Power / Fast TV start turned on. That's needed to enable "Turn Display Off"

this really helped I found it hope it helps!!(: