Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wentigels

Thinking about getting a Roku, have some questions.

Hello..! So I wanted to get a Roku, but have some questions.

Firstly, how does it connect to the tv? My tv is ancient and does not have a USB input.

Secondly, I'm getting it mostly for Netflix, so how does it work with that? Can I add things to the instant queue and watch things that aren't on the instant queue on it?

Third, what are the differences between the Roku 2, and the Roku 3?

Fourth and Final, how easy, clean, and fast are the menus? The device I'm currently using to watch Netflix on my tv has really laggy menus, to the point where it's hard to navigate.

Thanks in advance, you all!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Thinking about getting a Roku, have some questions.

Welcome! You ask valid questions, so let's try to answer them.

1. Roku players connect to a TV using HDMI, not USB. Some Roku players can be powered from a TV's USB port, but that is solely for power. If you don't have an HDMI port on your TV, there is no current Roku (or any other streaming media player) with the analog connections you require for that old of a TV. There are HDMI to Analog converters that some people have used successfully, but there's no guarantee they will work correctly.
  2. Netflix is just one of many online streaming providers. Virtually any streaming player will include a Netflix app, and it should work about the same across all platforms. You can make a list of titles you'd like to watch, or simply browse their selection. In other words, your Netflix subscription provides you access to their entire catalog. There are different levels of subscription, with the more expensive tiers providing higher quality video and more than one concurrent stream, so you could watch from more than one streaming device at the same time.
  3. The Roku 2 and 3 are extremely old models, and you won't find any new ones. In fact, there are five different versions of a Roku 2, and only two of them are still officially supported. But frankly they are all too old and will not support some of the latest channels. The newest versions are still 7 years old.
  4. A modern Roku player is easy to use, and the menus are quite fast. The performance within a channel, such as Netflix, is the responsibility of the channel provider. But the Netflix channel on all my Roku devices seem to perform just fine. The laggyness you describe sounds to me like an older, lower powered device that isn't capable of running the latest versions of Netflix adequately. Netflix is not alone in developing their apps to perform well with the latest and greatest hardware, and letting older devices flounder. 

From the sounds of it, you might benefit more from a new modern TV, rather than trying to add a streaming player to an older analog TV. Depending on the screen size, a modern HDTV isn't really expensive, and will likely include "smart" TV functions that give you apps like Netflix. You would also be able to easily add a Roku player to such a TV for streaming media that isn't included in a Smart TV. And there could be any number of providers you'd like to watch, once you start looking at what's available. Roku is second to none in the number of channels (apps) available, many of which are completely free to watch.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
mop_891
Roku Guru

Roku's connect to  an HDMI port. If you TV is really old is probably does not  have an HDMI input. The menus? I think they are perfectly fine and easy to use.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@wentigels wrote:

... Firstly, how does it connect to the tv? My tv is ancient and does not have a USB input....

Roku connects via HDMI. If your TV doesn't have HDMI, you'll need to use an HDMI to Composite/Component (depending on your TV) adapter. That's another expense. Add up enough expenses, and you're in the price range of a new smart TV (including Roku TV devices).

@wentigels wrote:

... Secondly, I'm getting it mostly for Netflix, so how does it work with that? Can I add things to the instant queue and watch things that aren't on the instant queue on it? ...

Netflix will work pretty much like it does on any device. Mobile phone, tablet, computer, anything. It's Netflix. The code all their various apps to work pretty much the same.

@wentigels wrote:

... Third, what are the differences between the Roku 2, and the Roku 3?...

Besides both being discontinued since 2016? And if you mean the model 4210 Roku 2, the one built from 2015 to 2016, there is absolutely no difference in the devices themselves. I'd suggest something a bit more current, however, such as one of the devices currently sold.

@wentigels wrote:

... Fourth and Final, how easy, clean, and fast are the menus? The device I'm currently using to watch Netflix on my tv has really laggy menus, to the point where it's hard to navigate....

They're snappy. You press a button and something happens. Not you press a button, pause, something happens. All the current models are really good, responsive devices.

Back to the whole "which one" question (which wasn't exactly that), any current device other than the Roku Express would be a good choice. The network limitations of the Express make it a lesser device, in my opinion. The Express 4K+ has good reports. I've used the current sticks (both are the same, the difference is the remote), and the Streambars. I've not used the current Ultra, but have used previous model Ultra devices. They're good.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."