Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_Xena_
Streaming Star

TV blinks on start up, then wallpaper disappears, gray wallpaper appears....

Hi,

When I turn my Roku TV on, after it's booted up, and everything, it starts blinking, and then my wallpaper disappears and turns to an ugly gray wallpaper. I've did a reboot, that fixes it for awhile, but it keeps happening. This didn't start, until my Roku automatically changed to one of their latest summer themes. It's doing it on both of my Roku TVs. It just doesn't want to stay on the wallpaper, I change it to. And yes, I turned the "automatically update wallpaper seasonal theme,' to off, and it STILL does it. Is anyone else having this issue, or are my Roku TVs about to basically quit working on me? HELP! ☹️😭

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: TV blinks on start up, then wallpaper disappears, gray wallpaper appears....

What TV brand is your set?  Roku doesn’t make the TV sets themselves FYI, it’s just an integrated RokuOS system licensed to TV manufacturers.  You would probably need to either contact the TV manufacturer, or if it’s still under warranty, return it to the store.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
_Xena_
Streaming Star

Re: TV blinks on start up, then wallpaper disappears, gray wallpaper appears....

🤣 Why would I have to return it to the store, when it's basically a faulty glitch? This basically didn't happen until Roku updates to OS 11 everything works fine, other than the fact, I listed.

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@_Xena_ 

Well if you don’t want to return the TV to the store, you could send it to the TV manufacturer and someone there can probably repair it for you.  The repair could be expensive though. 

So again what TV brand is your set?

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@_Xena_ 

I have seen this gray wallpaper report before but no successful resolution or people posting back a solution.  Of the few I have seen, seems to occur when trying to switch from a seasonal wallpaper.  

Try to restore the default theme pack and screensaver. (Settings/Theme/Default Theme Pack).  This should restore the factory default wallpaper, screensaver, and theme sounds.  Also, disable the wallpaper updates and the wallpaper animations found under Settings/Theme/Wallpaper Updates and Settings/Theme/Wallpaper Animations.

Immediately after restoring the default theme pack, try these next steps in increasing order to clear out cache or address flash memory issue. (proceed to next step if the previous step did not work).

1. Restore default theme pack.  Perform System Restart. (Settings/System/Power/System Restart).

2. Restore default theme pack.  Power down TV and unplug power from wall.  While still unplugged, press manual power button on TV for 30 seconds.  While still unplugged, press and hold Factory Reset button in for 30+ seconds. (may need paperclip after locating Reset hole on TV).  Wait another minute or so and then plug RokuTV back in and power TV on.

3. Restore default theme pack.  Perform a Factory Reset while TV is powered on either through the Factory Reset button (press and hold 30+ seconds), or through Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Factory Reset.

------

This does seem to only affect RokuTVs in the limited times I have seen it.  Users report all the channels/apps still play fine, but just get stuck with this gray background.  I suspect it is a bug in the OS regarding the seasonal wallpaper and some RokuTVs, but from the limited reports hard to say.

Feel free to post an update.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102