Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steve111
Channel Surfer

Re: Subtitles keep turning on

Jump to solution

Unwanted subtitles began appearing a couple weeks ago.   Instructions to remove closed captions state:  "1. Press HOME (house insignia) on remote.  Done.  2. Select SETTINGS.  3.  Select ACCESSIBILITY or CAPTIONS.  4. Select OFF"   There is no "SETTINGS" to select in Step 2.    Where is or are the SETTINGS?   This is a Roku 1.   Channel is CBSN.

RocPicCom
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hey ROKU, very lame that this issue is almost a YEAR old! I have two ROKU TVs, both doing the same thing, and it is annoying af.

0 Kudos
Blackhawkz
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Clear up my comment. Your suggestion did not work.

Myself, this is a very recent (2-5 days) problem, that doesn't seem to have a fix ATM.

It annoying, having to deal with resetting close caption to OFF! 

0 Kudos
gosaints77
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It's not a CBSM problem, I don't have that app and it started on me about a week or so ago.  I notice it worse in Peacock.  If a new show starts, darn subtitles start up again.  So darn annoying.  This is a ROKU issue, not an app issue.

gosaints77
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@RokuMary-F wrote:

Hi @LuvJmm,

We appreciate your contact.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote, and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.
Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted.
Thanks,

Mary

What is this **bleep**!  have you not read a darn thread.  Enough with the nonsense easy BS, this is a ROKU issiue

susad2985
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

we don't have accessibility on out roku I have looked a looked its not on there

0 Kudos
empiretc
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Ever since we removed the Slingtv app, we have not been experiencing this issue anymore.  It is really strange, but that is what we have noticed. 

0 Kudos
gypsyBytes
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Press the * button, scroll to off, press the * button again to close. No need to leave the CBS app abd go to settings, especially since the close caption will just turn on again when you open the CBS app.

0 Kudos
Mike1123123
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yep, this is a problem for me, too.   Real pain in the arse to have to turn off the captions constantly!!!!

Roku, PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM!

0 Kudos
RocPicCom
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I don't have SlingTV, and this thread was started in March of 2020, the tech support responses look like something from the early days of the net, when people who didn't use the net, were tech support with folders of laminated pages of answers ...

0 Kudos