Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Torindale

Subtitles keep turning on

Jump to solution

Ran into this and it just started to happen. For me what fixed it is when one app has it enabled it enables for all the apps. I found the one app that had it enabled in the app not on the ruku itself (peacock for me) and and finally stayed across the board. Checked all my other roku’s in the house and I looked to have fixed it

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dan-Miller

Re: Subtitles keep turning on. A fix for the symptom, not the underlying cause though.

Jump to solution

So I fixed it. At least on my devices (two of the newer Ultra boxes, the ones that do Dolby Vision). There might be other symptoms on other streamers or the TV, but I'll share what happened and what I did.

I was having the same symptoms as much of what I have read here. The captions were always on upon starting something. If I turned them off in the app itself, they stayed off for the duration of the show I was watching, but only if I continued straight through. When the next episode began, they were on again. Even if I paused to take a leak, they would return upon restart. If I turned them off globally in the menu, it was useless. They would be on in the show and then if I returned to the global settings it was as if I had never made the change.

The one thing that helped me was that this is a fairly recent problem. Up until last month this never happened. What happened last month? Well, for me I got rid of my cable service and wanted to see if any of the live TV apps made sense. So I tried them. Sling, Fubo TV, Philo and YouTube TV. I ended up not using any of them - but I didn't delete them. So yesterday I did. The problem is GONE.

Someone either in this thread or one of the others had mentioned Sling, and that's what made me try this. I don't know which of those apps were the trigger and frankly I don't care. This is Roku's problem. I feel bad for saying that because I'm a video product engineer for a major manufacturer and it's in my nature to get to the root of these things. But I don't have access to the code for Roku, and I'm sure they have people who actually get paid to debug these problems. But if this "fix" can help some of you or one of the Roku coders, then good. 

As always, YMMV.

Good luck Roku team...

Dan

Roku Ultra (4800 series) 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
MelanieKo
Reel Rookie

Re: Subtitles keep turning on

Jump to solution

It’s 2023 and I STILL have this problem. It’s disappointing to see this has been reported FOR YEARS by MANY PEOPLE and Roku still refuses to accept responsibility and push an update.

I was silly enough to buy all Roku TVs. Those TVs are logged onto 2 different Roku accounts and THEY ALL have this problem ON EVERY APP. it’s not the channel CC, it’s the Roku captions and if I manually turn them off, they come back on when a new episode/ show starts or if I change apps. 
I have severe arthritis in my hands and every button push is one less pain free motion of my hands before I’m in terrible pain each day. 
PLEASE PUSH AN UPDATE TO FIX THIS! I have automatic updates on. There’s ABSOLUTELY no way “delete EVERY app I’m signed into on EVERY device I have over 3 years after this issue has been reported” is an acceptable answer. 
 Will be DELIGHTED if one day the issue just stops.
thank you. 

scottfree

Jump to solution

This happens to me as well, I cannot believe it's still not fixed I've tried the reset and it just came back and I don't want to have to reset my TV every time this issue comes up needing to log back into everything, it's a major hassle on top of the internet issues I already have. Airplay doesn't really work that great which was a major selling feature for me and with these issues I'm thinking this is my last Roku TV

RobertoJ
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yeah. I wish Roku could isolate the subtitle settings of each company it hosts. At least Sling did place the switch un a hidden menu bar. You can reach it by hiring the arrow down button. Regarding Airplay, I haven’t had any issues connecting our iPhones and MacBooks to any of our three Roku controllers or both Roku tv’s. As long as each one has a name in the Roku settings, it should be able to be found. 

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @RobertoJ

Thanks for reaching out regarding the issue you are experiencing.

For more information about enabling/disabling closed captioning, visit our Support page here: How do I enable closed captioning?

However, most channels and apps contain their own settings and will override the settings in Roku menus. Check inside each channel's individual settings and disable captions in each. Some channels have their own captions settings that are separate from the system settings.

Some channel manages its own content programming, including closed captions and subtitles on contents. Reach out to the channel If changing the captions on the Roku settings does not resolve the issue.

We hope it helps!

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
RobertoJ
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I wish it was a simple as you say. The problem is not that like you, in Roku, replied to me that apps and channels have their own settings and override Roku’s settings. It’s that the settings of each channel should be isolated from others. That’s in your software. The tool you give them is flawed if one channel can affect the other. The reason why I used subtitles varies. Sometimes it’s because their accent or the volume is so hard to understand that I need to turn subtitles on. Other times because the show is in another language. I never need the subtitles to be on or off at all times on every channel. But I shouldn’t have to see the captions on one channel because I left them on on another channel for the next episode i might watch the following day. 

discodamien
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

This does not help. The issue is across all apps (except YouTube). The problem resides within the Roku’s software, not in the individual apps. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Artalma

Jump to solution

I'm so disheartened to see that a problem I'm having has been an ongoing problem for 2 years now with no apparent resolution... WTH? Using Peacock channel, we have to turn off CC for every single episode of a show because it just turns itself back on again! Very frustrating for me but I can only imagine the frustration for those that have been hassled by this for months or years already!

mlcozad

Jump to solution

There is no off setting for Captioning on the FireTV version of the Roku app.

Plenty of look options. But no off.

0 Kudos
discodamien
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yes! Every single episode. The frustrating thing is being told over and over that the problem is with the app, not the system. It clearly is not.