Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pacecarguy
Reel Rookie

Re: Subtitles keep turning on

Jump to solution

Yes, same randomness here.  And what is frustrating is that something is changing the setting in Roku setup.  They need to lock down the ability for an app to be able to change the Roku device setting.

0 Kudos
GregLakes
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

It's likely one app causing it. I was lucky and determined it was the CBSN app and I updated it and was good to go. That was my experience months ago.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@GregLakes 

Likely, but possible there are multiple apps - probably best just to test them one at a time and see which one(s).

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I can’t turn them off for my bluray. It’s not my bluray. Cause when I press subtitles for my bluray I see 2 different captions. 

0 Kudos
mountainmanherm
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

the way to fix subtitles      go to netflix find an adult movie r rared go to subtitles turn off subtitles play movie for about ten minutes close out movie restart roku    this will fix the issue

0 Kudos
KitnCab

Jump to solution

We just started having this issue yesterday.

Watching a movie on Plex. Turned on Subtitles for early French dialogue and then tried turning them off (because they were only showing the English/Eng sounding words? ...bad Subtitles, right?)

Half way through the movie the Subtitles turned themselves on again - and started translating the early French dialogue we needed to read early on.

They wouldn't turn OFF no matter what we tried.

We also have Plex on a Firestick.

SAME THING! The Subtitles are ON and refuse to go away.

0 Kudos
GregLakes
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Sounds like a Plex issue if it's doing on firestick too. Perhaps find a Plex forum.

0 Kudos
mountainmanherm
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

find an adult movie r rated got to movie settings set subtitles to off play movie for 10 minutes end movie and restart roku problem solved

0 Kudos
GregLakes
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@mountainmanherm wrote:

find an adult movie r rated got to movie settings set subtitles to off play movie for 10 minutes end movie and restart roku problem solved

I find that hard to believe...

0 Kudos
C_I
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Pacecarguy wrote:

Yes, same randomness here.  And what is frustrating is that something is changing the setting in Roku setup.  They need to lock down the ability for an app to be able to change the Roku device setting. Some shows are foreign and in foreign language so subtitles will turn on.   Got to system>settings > audio> caption settings> choose off, not always on. 

0 Kudos