Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RocPicCom
Channel Surfer

Re: Subtitles keep turning on

Jump to solution

Hello C_I, we are on page 12 of this issue, going back to March of 2020, your simple solution was eliminated pages ago.  Thank You.

0 Kudos
dbd67
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I disagree...this is a Roku problem, probably through an update. I have a 55" Insignia Roku TV. I have never had CC on, on the TV or any app. I have not installed any new apps in over a year. Two months ago, the CC always on started every time I turn on the TV. It is very annoying to turn it off every single time I turn on the TV. For Roku to suggest to us to delete apps and reinstall them 1 by 1, just puts them at the same level as MS blaming issues on hardware.

Kbarnes74

Jump to solution

I have 3 Roku TVs and every single one of them do it. Doesn’t matter what app I use, if the tv has been off, when I turn it back on, the closed captions are back. I have to manually turn them off every single time. Annoying enough that I will not buy another Roku TV. 

Hoosierferg
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I had reinstalled CBSN prior to trying the Systems update method, but did the systems update method after reinstalling CBSN and it did not cure the AXS app, which does the exact same thing as CBSN did. And I also reinstalled the AXS app for good measure and it still has the captions always on problem. So system update either in the universal Roku settings or individual app setting is not an across the board cure for the problem, though many more people surely have CBSN than AXS. 

0 Kudos
EdI
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Ok. Top this. Watching “Coming to America 2” on Prime. No captions MOST of the time but whenever there is a song the closed captioning pops up. IN GERMAN!?!?  Wtf?

dbd67
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Agreed. I just bought a Samsung. I have the same apps loaded as well as Samsung default apps. No CC appears.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@EdI wrote:

Ok. Top this. Watching “Coming to America 2” on Prime. No captions MOST of the time but whenever there is a song the closed captioning pops up. IN GERMAN!?!?  Wtf?

Different longstanding on-going issue with subtitles/CC in Prime.

You'll need to contact Amazon about it:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/contact-us

0 Kudos
StanIAm

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue. Random captions, in Amazon Prime & Netflix, sometimes in some foreign language, can’t get rid of them... just started weeks ago, don’t know why.

not the dialogue of the video, but for things like signs, episode titles 

captions are turned off for both apps & in Roku device & tv

0 Kudos
C_I
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@StanIAm wrote:

I am having the same issue. Random captions, in Amazon Prime & Netflix, sometimes in some foreign language, can’t get rid of them... just started weeks ago, don’t know why.

not the dialogue of the video, but for things like signs, episode titles 

captions are turned off for both apps & in Roku device & tv

Contact the app providers directly about this- Roku does not5 own, manage or maintain these apps. 

0 Kudos
EdI
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Doesn't happen with TIVO apps for the same services, nor on Apple. Does Roku just abdicate on QC and release apps into the wild on their platform without knowing they work correctly?  That's disappointing....

0 Kudos