Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bruzehual

Serious question about future of Roku

Since Roku released its ipo and it has for now done pretty well, however as a streaming platform with a hard ware and device solution, I have serious SERIOUS questions about its future. Firstly let me say i remember back in the 90s inquiring on a IRC woudlnt it be cool if a phone could take pictures. The users in IRC simply said..."why would you want that" and now since the introduction of cameras on phones compact camera sales have plummeted. Now it seems silly that phones dont have cameras and even sillier for why people would want to buy a compact camera. Back to this point in a few.

While i do currently like roku, one day i ended up thinking, what is preventing apple or samsung from simply making the next version of their phones capable of doubling as a streaming device(allowing you to plug your phone into the tv physically or wirelessly and getting access to various channels via a nice UI). They can already play games,email,send text etc. Samsung 8 comes with Samsung dex which can already double as a PC if you hook it to a montior.

The current iterations of rokus coming out are simply too boring to merit any true innovation, For roku to not be wiped out within 3 years to 5 years. it needs to allow users to be able to sync with your mobile phone and be able to display notifications mid show - (it can be turned off). Allow you connect to LAN and display content off the lan network(built in). Allow for android/ios level gaming so it can double as a gaming console, video calling with an added camera.

To people who say "why would you want that"...look at my example of what happened to compact cameras when they didnt bother to truly innovate and go along with the times.

The point is these minor iterations that roku is doing are simply insufficient and will likely mean they can be easily killed by another company, if it wants to get into its space.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Serious question about future of Roku

@bruzehual wrote:

... what is preventing apple or samsung from simply making the next version of their phones capable of doubling as a streaming device(allowing you to plug your phone into the tv physically or wirelessly and getting access to various channels via a nice UI). ...

That's not future tech. That's current. Been happening for a while.

New TVs support AirPlay 2. You can stream directly to an AirPlay 2 compatible TV from your iPhone.

TVs with Chromecast (been around longer than AirPlay 2) can receive casts from Android devices, and several iPhone streaming apps.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos