Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RW620
Binge Watcher

Re: Screensaver won't engage, it tries but fails

Jump to solution

Doing the happy dance!  I disconnected the over the air antennae & DVD player, then did the factory reset again just for good measure.  Tested the screensaver...voila!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

0 Kudos
Portalogem
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Community streaming experts, please take note of what I posted below because I found a way to fix this issue on other Roku devices by applying this, and this has so far at least helped one other member of the Roku community fix their device without having to resort to a hard reset:

I'm sorry that you had to hard reset your Roku RW620 before I was able to post on this thread because you shouldn't have had to have gone through all that. The hard reset probably worked the second time because Roku had rolled a patch out for your device in one of their daily updates, but for some reason, your Roku TV didn't apply the patch. Clearing the theme settings would have reset the problematic screensaver issue you were having since the cache of the theme settings was interfering with the patch that had been rolled out to all Roku devices that didn't have micro-SD Card slots (including mine and my parents' Roku devices, which suddenly had their in-channel screensavers working again). If this happens to you again or for anyone else having this similar issue who finds this thread, this instead should work:

This will clear your theme settings, so remember your wallpaper screen, sound settings, and screen saver. This won't hard reset the Roku. 

Go to Settings/Theme/Restore Default Theme/Restore

And this should have fixed your issue, and should fix other people's issues who have Roku TVs that are currently experiencing this. And if the issue comes back, which it shouldn't after a hard reset, you'll know what to do, so you don't have to resort to hard resetting your Roku again.

Here is a link to my post for those having this issue that has a Micro-SD card in their Roku device, which fixed my Roku and my parents' Roku devices which had micro-SD card slots in them. This doesn't apply to your device, but this is for others who find your post for many had a similar issue. I'm trying to track down all threads that experienced this. Unfortunately, I didn't find your thread till it was too late.

I'm thinking of removing my post from the thread I originally posted on and just creating a new post in the hopes that everyone who had this issue finds my post. If I did that, I would create a link where this post was to that newer post, so clicking on this link would still work.

How to Fix The Screensaver OS 11 Glitch -- 2022 (h... - Roku Community

(https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Device-Features-Settings-Updates/11-0-0-screen-saver-crashing-mul...)

0 Kudos
RW620
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank you for your response!  No worries.  I didn't mind doing the hard reset again, I'm just glad it got fixed. I think it would be good for you to create a new post heading, since has been a very frustrating ordeal. Your community is awesome & very patient & helpful! 

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @RW620,

Thanks for all the testing and for sharing the results with us.

We appreciate your patience in this matter and we're happy to hear that the issue is already resolved.
If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Regards,
Nimfa

Malkroft
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just installed a new Express 4K+. The screensaver has not worked at all with the new unit. I found this topic and tried your solution of removing the batteries from the remote, and screensaver started up for the first time. I put the batteries back in and it worked again, but only from the home screen. I tried it on Netflix with a paused stream and the screensaver never comes on. Any other ideas? Thanks.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Malkroft, when you pause the video does the screen go black when you're expecting the screensaver (or do you get the cascading Roku logos)?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Malkroft
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The screensaver works correctly, i.e., as I have programmed it with my photo stream, from the Roku Home Screen, the Roku Channel, Vudu, Spotify, and Continuum channels. Other channels that don't work as programmed:

Netflix-nothing happens, just stays on paused screen

Prime Video, CW, and Crackle-Screensaver comes on, but it is Roku Logo rain, not my Photo Stream

Hulu-Screensaver comes on, but it is random Hulu logo screensaver, not {hot Stream as programmed.

None of them go to a black screen.

Thanks for your attention.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Malkroft, other than Netflix (I don't know what's happening there) what you're seeing is expected.  Users' selected screensavers only display over menus and similar things, not over paused videos.  You generally get "Logo rain" or a blank screen if you pause a video long enough.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Malkroft
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Okay, good to know. Thanks. 

0 Kudos