Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nanrector
Reel Rookie

Roku screensaver changes in different apps

Just purchased a Roku Ultra. I set the screensaver from the main page however. It appears to only show when I'm on the home screen. No matter what app I'm in it either goes black or goes to the standard Roku screensaver after the allotted time. When you set the screensaver should network no matter what app you're in whether it's Netflix or Hulu or whatever?

Thanks!

Nancy

www.craftyourhappiness.com
0 Kudos
Syderella

Re: Screensaver behavior has changed

On my tcl roku tv I don't have a "browes themes" or "custom" option it takes me straight to my themes and I cant figure out how to get to the custom option. When I go to the themes through settings, I dont get asked to browse or cutsom it takes me straight to a page were I see some of what they have to offer, I can't find all and I also they do have a seasonal screen saver setting I can turn on or off but that doesn't bring up the custom setting  either way. I just want to know how yo get to the custom or browse option page when going to themes through the setting doesn't go there. 

@atc98092 wrote:

@krispyonion wrote:

What's being discussed isn't the channel forcing its own screensaver on the user - the channel is using the default Roku screensaver, which for some reason is stuck on Logo Rain and not being set as the screensaver that the user selected.

I think the problem isn't screensavers but themes. It looks like the recent upgrade ticked the default purple theme as in-use, regardless of what's actually being displayed.

I use Nebula, and Nebula was displayed, but the purple was ticked. After re-selecting Nebula as the current theme, my selected screensaver (Cloc) is again showing up when I pause shows (except accurséd Hulu, with its own screensaver).

So try resetting your theme (if you use purple, temporarily select something else then switch back) and see if that makes Roku de-select Logo Rain and recognize your screensaver settings.

Also note that you can disable Roku from displaying featured themes to your device. Go to the Themes menu and select Custom Settings. You can disable your device from switching to themes that are pushed out, such as Christmas or other holiday themes. 

@atc98092 wrote:

@krispyonion wrote:

What's being discussed isn't the channel forcing its own screensaver on the user - the channel is using the default Roku screensaver, which for some reason is stuck on Logo Rain and not being set as the screensaver that the user selected.

I think the problem isn't screensavers but themes. It looks like the recent upgrade ticked the default purple theme as in-use, regardless of what's actually being displayed.

I use Nebula, and Nebula was displayed, but the purple was ticked. After re-selecting Nebula as the current theme, my selected screensaver (Cloc) is again showing up when I pause shows (except accurséd Hulu, with its own screensaver).

So try resetting your theme (if you use purple, temporarily select something else then switch back) and see if that makes Roku de-select Logo Rain and recognize your screensaver settings.

Also note that you can disable Roku from displaying featured themes to your device. Go to the Themes menu and select Custom Settings. You can disable your device from switching to themes that are pushed out, such as Christmas or other holiday themes. 

0 Kudos
Syderella

What if you can't access the custom or browse setting in the theme selection 

0 Kudos
krispyonion
Streaming Star

Not sure about Roku TV, but on my Roku 3, "Custom Theme" simply means I've selected wallpaper, screensaver and sound settings individually - there's no actual selection page/tool for "Custom Theme".

Just in case, based on the posts you've quoted: there's no way for customers to set the default screensaver - it's always Logo Rain.

By default, I mean the screensaver Roku pulls up if the channel has no custom screensaver of its own, like Netflix's previews or Hulu's bouncing logo. If you pause during a show/film, you get the channel's custom logo, or Roku's Logo Rain, regardless of what screensaver you have selected.

Your selected screensaver only shows up on Roku's menu pages (Home, My Feed, etc.) and on channels if you've not yet started viewing something. I went in circles with customer service about this before they admitted that's the intended behavior.

0 Kudos
wildchildofgod
Binge Watcher

@atc98092 wrote:

@carsonmax2000 wrote:

How do I delete that ugly "logo rain" screensaver. I like a blank black screen or my own default one. Looks like a system update added a couple of UI changes (they added a stupid "(+) add channel" channel space) and now this stupid "logo rain" can't be deleted. Yeah I get it guys, it's a Roku, but I don't need to see your logo everywhere like it's a cheap DVD player from 15 years ago telling me constantly it's a "DVD", ooooh. #baddesign #updates

There's plenty of other screensavers to choose from. If you don't like that one then pick another. Is that so difficult? 

Uhh, Dan? Don’t you think if that simple lil fix of yours worked, all these people would’ve figured it out by now?

Bill E.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@wildchildofgod wrote:

Uhh, Dan? Don’t you think if that simple lil fix of yours worked, all these people would’ve figured it out by now?

Well, yes I would. But on occasion someone needs to point out the obvious. 😉

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
wildchildofgod
Binge Watcher

Sadly you are correct 🤷

Bill E.
0 Kudos
Jonathanr
Binge Watcher

My problem here is in two parts: 

1. I don't think Roku should allow third party apps like Amazon Prime Video to select their own default screen saver, overriding the user choice. (In this case of Amazon Prime Video on my Rokus, it's the dreaded Roku "logo rain." Roku can definitely prevent this in their code. Example: if I disable screen savers entirely in Roku, Amazon can't override that. So, it's possible for Roku to control this. 

2. Roku users should be able to delete Logo Rain screensaver from their devices. This would, likely, force third parties like Prime Video to use the user's choice of screensaver instead. 

My issue with all of this is twofold: 

- I am distracted by the Logo Rain screensaver, don't want it on my TV, the color and type of movement bothers me, why should Prime Video be able to force this screensaver on me when I haven't chosen it? 

- I paid for my own Roku screensaver from Roku which doesn't work when my devices go into screensaver mode from Prime. 

(I don't have these issues on the other main channels I watch but I'm sure this varies per user. However, why should any channel be able to override your default selection?).

ethyss
Streaming Star

Thanks.  I have the same issues, however I didn't realize it was Amazon.

When I watch BritBox or Accord, the screensaver is merely a blank screen.  Once again, I do not get the screensaver I paid for!

0 Kudos
Jonathanr
Binge Watcher

It CAN be changed. I paid for a screensaver and want to use it. Users can't change it, but Roku can, it's a coding/development choice. Amazon Prime Video can also change how this works on their channel, that is their coding/development choice. 

When you buy a screensaver, it should just appear. 

0 Kudos