Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SL500babe
Reel Rookie

Screen Reader Settings Shows Off, BUT words are on screen

Screen reader wouldn't shut off on my Paramount Plus app. I replaced the Roku Express with the Roku Stick and the problem went away. I followed all the suggestions from earlier posts and none of them worked. There seems to be a problem with the Roku Express device.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Screen Reader Settings Shows Off, BUT words are on screen

Hi @SL500babe 

Thanks for the post.

Did the screen reader issue only occur on Paramount+ or across other channels installed on your Roku Express? If it's only on Paramount+, please be aware that channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel developer themselves. We would recommend reaching out to the channel provider's customer support team to see if they have any additional settings or options within their channel that may disable screen reader.

You can contact them here: Paramount+ Help Center

Let us know if you need more help.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Screen Reader Settings Shows Off, BUT words are on screen

@SL500babe-

What are you referring to as "screen reader"?

What Roku calls Screen Reader formerly was called Audio Guide.  It provides voice overlays to the audio of the current screen to announce where you are in the Roku menus for the benefit of the visually impaired.  It can be toggled on and off by the shortcut of four quick presses of the * button on the Roku remote.   The shortcut can be deactivated altogether via menu path Settings > Accessibility > Shortcut (in the Screen Reader or Audio Guide section) > Disabled.

Since you mention "words are on screen", might you be asking about Closed Captioning, where the spoken words are also displayed in text on the screen?  The default location for Roku's closed captioning controls is via the * key on the Roku remote while viewing a program.   Some channel apps don't use the Roku defaults, instead substituting their own method of access -- I'm guessing this is so they will have consistent controls with versions of their app running on platforms other than Roku.  Often these options are accessed by pressing the up and/or down cursor control keys while viewing the program to pop the channel's own control options on the screen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos