Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Elzora
Channel Surfer

Screen Reader Settings Shows Off, BUT words are on screen

Jump to solution

I did everything it shows to do. ( see below )

I tried both ways and words are still on every tile/app. It would really help if Roku let you talk to someone by phone. Trying to do a search myself and the help shown as what to do to fix it doesn't work is aggravating. Customer support would be nice!!!!!     Thank You for reading. 

How to change screen reader settings

You can customize your screen reader experience by going to Settings, then Accessibility, and then Screen reader. The various configurations available to you are as follows:

Screen reader on/off

• Turn the screen reader on or off. This is the same as pressing Star 

four times.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Screen Reader Settings Shows Off, BUT words are on screen

Jump to solution

@Elzora 

The Screen Reader is a feature that "speaks" to the user verbally by notifying them of settings and navigation.

If you are seeing "words on the screen", then you are either seeing Closed Captioning or Subtitles.  This nomenclature setting is used interchangeably in different channels/apps so you may have to adjust settings in both the Roku Settings and from within your selected channel/app.

To turn off Closed Captioning/Subtitles from within Roku, go to Settings/Accessibility/Captions Mode /[Off].

Whenever watching content, you can toggle/bring up the Accessibility menu by pressing the * button (Options button), and look for Closed Captioning.

https://support.roku.com/article/208756848

----

You may also have to further look into the channel/app options or settings menu you are watching as sometimes they do or do not override Roku settings and look for either Closed Captioning or Subtitles.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Elzora 

The Screen Reader is a feature that "speaks" to the user verbally by notifying them of settings and navigation.

If you are seeing "words on the screen", then you are either seeing Closed Captioning or Subtitles.  This nomenclature setting is used interchangeably in different channels/apps so you may have to adjust settings in both the Roku Settings and from within your selected channel/app.

To turn off Closed Captioning/Subtitles from within Roku, go to Settings/Accessibility/Captions Mode /[Off].

Whenever watching content, you can toggle/bring up the Accessibility menu by pressing the * button (Options button), and look for Closed Captioning.

https://support.roku.com/article/208756848

----

You may also have to further look into the channel/app options or settings menu you are watching as sometimes they do or do not override Roku settings and look for either Closed Captioning or Subtitles.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Elzora
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Avs Gunnar,

Thank You so much explaining the difference of The Screen Reader is a feature that "speaks" to the user verbally and if I see words on the screen then I am either seeing Closed Captioning or Subtitles.

I fixed it using the Closed Captioning. I don't know how that changed like that, but thanks to you everything is ok now.

This is all new to me and I'm older so I get stressed out easy. I really appreciate your reply back and helping me and taking the time to do so out of your day. Your GREAT!

Elzora