Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku tv won't stop updating

Jump to solution

I just got a Phillips roku tv. Upon turning it on, it takes me through the initial language and country setup then proceeds to update the software. After the update it restarts, and it's as if the initial setup never happened (apart from it remembering our wifi password) and it keeps continually updating after every restart. I've gone through this cycle about ten times now. Am I not being patient enough or is there something wrong here? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Roku tv won't stop updating

Jump to solution

Ugh, I feel like an idiot... I restarted my wireless router and the setup completed. Thank you for your help. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

That is unexpected behavior. It's acting like it's not successfully completing the update. So, I have a couple of network related questions.

Are you in the US or one of the following countries? 

• Canada
  • France
  • United Kingdom
  • Argentina
  • Brazil
  • Chile
  • Colombia
  • Costa Rica
  • El Salvador
  • Guatemala
  • Honduras
  • Mexico
  • Nicaragua
  • Panama
  • Peru

If you are in the US or one of those countries, are you using a VPN?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I am in the US and not using a VPN.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Something is stopping your device from completing the update.

Try a factory reset. Since you can't use the menu to do that, try page 123 of your manual.

Models with a RESET button

1. Using a straightened paper clip or ball-point pen, press and hold the recessed RESET button on the TV connector panel.
  2. Continue to hold the RESET button for approximately 12 seconds. When the reset cycle completes, the status indicator comes on dim.
  3. Release the RESET button. The TV is now powered off.
  4. Turn on the TV and proceed through Guided Setup.

Models without a RESET button

1. On the TV panel (not the remote) press and hold down the MUTE and POWER buttons.
  2. Unplug the TV power, and then plug it in while continuing to hold down the MUTE and POWER buttons.
  3. When you see the startup screen appear on the TV, release the buttons.
  4. Turn on the TV and proceed through Guided Setup.

If that doesn't resolve it, I'm out of ideas. Perhaps others will come along with better ideas.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Ugh, I feel like an idiot... I restarted my wireless router and the setup completed. Thank you for your help. 

Jump to solution

This has happened to me I fixed it but I've been having problems like YouTube won't open and turns off the roku and tubi loads staying at the same percentage so I reset jt but the same problem that has happened to you happend to me i can't fix it I reset my roku and router it won't work.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @EdwinJohnson209

Welcome to Roku Community. 

We'd like to know more about how we can help. Do you have a Roku TV or streaming device? If you have a Roku device, could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? Do you receive an error message or code when attempting to stream? 

Keep us posted with the details so we can assist you further. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Kimcrummie

Jump to solution

I’m having the sam issue.  I have the devise I have reset and restarted my router. Please help 

0 Kudos
Kimcrummie

Jump to solution

I’m in US but not on VPN

0 Kudos
Kimcrummie

Jump to solution
And I have a dreaming device
0 Kudos