Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pdhcspices

Re: Roku screensaver stopped working

I can't get any of the Screensavers to work! 

0 Kudos
Pil71
Channel Surfer

Some channels block Roku screensavers from activating.  Plex & Netflix are two common channels that block the Roku screensavers.  This is by design.

0 Kudos
Deliusfan
Channel Surfer

My screensaver ALSO stopped working a few days ago. I thought my TV was off, but it just showed a black screen

When I went to check the theme settings, no other screensavers other than Logo Rain (the default) would even preview. The rest just freeze on a blank screen after "loading images" blips for a split second on the screen. I think the system is actually freezing, rather than simply not running the screensaver. I have noticed my remote taking longer and longer to get a response from the Roku at other times (and not br ause of a battery issue). 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Deliusfan

Thanks for the post.

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried changing your screensaver to something else to see if you are still experiencing the same issue?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Deliusfan
Channel Surfer

Yes, I have changed it to the default Roku Rain screensaver which seems to work ok. Interestingly enough, when I was trying to preview all the others, after I tried and failed previewing the other screensavers several times, then even the Roku Rain failed to preview! Something is "hung" in the programs I think which is why my Subaru National Parks has stopped working (I notice this is the common theme on here, I used it for 4 or 5 years, starting when it first was released). 

But yes, Rain, and only Rain is working. 

0 Kudos
Locke
Reel Rookie

I'm having the same issue. I've checked for updates, rebooted the roku, uninstalled the screensaver app, tried multiple different screensaver apps, uninstalled those, rebooted again, installed yet another different screensaver and the only ones that will work at the default scrolling screensavers. They fail when trying to preview:

"Screensaver preview failed

The screensaver could not be previewed. You may need to change its custom settings."

Except none of them have custom settings.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Locke

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? Is this issue happening with specific screensavers? Have you tried using other screensavers available (not through the apps) to see if you are experiencing the same issue?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Locke
Reel Rookie

Basically, it seems to happen with any screensaver that doesn't list Roku as the developer. Most often, it'll load the title splash screen then crash when trying to load the slideshow. I've tried National Parks, Sakura, B.P.O.D, Hawaii Collection, Tokyo, Spring Collection, Cherry Blossom that I can remember.

Model is: 4620X - Roku Premiere

Software version: 9.4.0 build 4200-29

0 Kudos
HIS2BLESS
Channel Surfer

My Roku seems vibrant How do I know if on 4G?

@RokuDanny-R 

I think I already have 4 G due to update ? How do I know. My Roku remote matches Premier offer picture

0 Kudos
HIS2BLESS
Channel Surfer

I just went back to settings and reselected it as screensaver... It worked. 

0 Kudos