Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MA26

Re: Roku's advertisements are not family friendly. How do we fix this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/qb3sqi/comment/hhmi4zx/

This seems to have worked for my TCL Roku TV. 

Rtrice

7:30pm start up today first look at applications page... showed "bros" as very first advertisement. 

Bought this for kids room and the first thing they see on roku is two dudes grabbing each other's asses.

Pretty big peoblem with sexualization being the first thing my kids see.

bnun
Reel Rookie

@Rtrice, Roku doesn't care about kids. I don't mind having ads, just let me pick my preferences so I don't have to see things inappropriate for my family. It would actually improve click-through if we saw ads we were interested in. A win-win. 

Check the post just above your's. That link worked in deleting the ads. 

Cotj
Channel Surfer

Today at 745 MST there was a photo of a Demon climbing out of a woman's stomach. 

Just sitting there on the screen saver.

PianoMan83
Reel Rookie

YES! This is the solution!! 👏Thank you so much for sharing this, MA26!👏

0 Kudos
Tom817
Binge Watcher

In addition to @byrond 's "disable tracking id", I also change the Settings | Home Screen, all six categories starting with "What to Watch" down to "My Offers" to "Hide" from "Show".

In a quick test, some of the dozen ads I saw in the Home Screen side panel after that were This Old House on RokuTV, a multi-channel ad with small thumbnails, nothing objectionable, for RokuTV, Roku channel Hulk, DogTV.

I like the idea of the Resume watching in "What to Watch", not so satisfied with every bit of content offered. A submenu that let me pick the proposed categories or just Resume only would be great.

If I'm going to be so deeply profiled in my habits, please make better use of the profile data to suggest content.  You nailed On Patrol Live, blew it with E! and drag, and other stuff.

Jeremyhilton
Binge Watcher

I too would love the ability to block the offensive ads as we as a family should be able to decide whether we want to view stuff like that. Currently looking for Roku alternatives and cost is not an issue.

Jeremyhilton
Binge Watcher

Seriously though this mature content should not be showing up on our Roku.

1000002239.jpg

Tags (1)
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Jeremyhilton wrote:

Currently looking for Roku alternatives and cost is not an issue.

Nvidia Shield? Ads on the home screen. Fire TV? Ads on the home screen. I can't say for certain if Apple TV or Chromecast has ads, but Apple and Google are known for their ads in other places. Other Android based players that are running Google TV (and they all will depending on the OS version) will also have ads. There are not many alternatives available anymore. Some Blu Ray players might still include streaming interfaces, but they generally aren't as good as the dedicated streaming boxes. Depending on the content you want to stream, a Smart TV might end up being the least likely to have ads on the home screen. Of course, Sony uses Google TV as their OS, so there's likely ads there as well. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Jeremyhilton
Binge Watcher

Thank you for the suggestions. I just don't see why it's so hard to have the ability to keep the ads family friendly, should be an easy setting as it also defeats the purpose of an "advertisement". Thanks again for the suggestions though!