Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hollholl
Reel Rookie

Roku player glitches and reboots when I turn on the TV

When I switch my TV source to my Roku device (or when I turn on my TV when it's already set to the Roku), sometimes the screen becomes a very pixellated and distorted version of the Roku home screen for a few seconds, and then the device restarts and all is well. There is also a loud staticky sound during this glitching phase. 

I thought it might be an issue with my Roku device because it's several years old, so I bought a new device and the issue is still happening. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku player glitches and reboots when I turn on the TV

Hello @hollholl

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Could you tell us a bit more about what the problem is that you're running into?  How are you powering the device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into the wall with the provided cables and adapter? In addition, have you tried using another HDMI cable and switching HDMI ports to see if you are experiencing the same issue? What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?

Please keep us posted and we will be able to assist you further.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
hollholl
Reel Rookie

Hi Karla,

Thanks for responding to my question!

I'm using the power cord and adaptor that were provided with the Roku device and it is plugged into the wall. I've tried using both the HDMI cable from my previous Roku device and the new one that arrived with my new device, and have also tried plugging into a different HDMI port on the TV. Let me know if there's something else I should try.

It's very weird that when the glitch happens, the TV turns itself off and then on again. With the new device, sometimes a couple of these cycles happen before the system is usable.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@hollholl

Appreciate the reply.

Could you try connecting your Roku device to a different television to see if that will make a difference? Please also reply here with the serial number of the affected Roku. This can be found at the back or underneath the player itself.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos