Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
itdoesntwork
Reel Rookie

Roku mirror screen times out and does not connect

I am trying to set up my Roku Express to allow me to project my PC screen onto my TV. I am running Windows 11. I have confirmed that both my PC and Roku device are using the same wifi network.

When I attempt to connect over the wifi using my PC the loading screen jumps to 1/3 progress and stays there until my computer times out and it says it cannot connect. 

Previous advice has advised me to restart either my PC, Roku or Wifi and I have done all three. I have even reset my Roku device using the factory reset hole. My computer is able to connect to other wifi/bluetooth devices without problem; this is the only device that does not work.

What is preventing my computer from connecting to Roku, and what is preventing Roku from screen sharing?

Thank you.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku mirror screen times out and does not connect

Greetings @itdoesntwork 

Welcome to the Roku Community and thanks for posting regarding the issue you are experiencing with screen mirroring to your device.

Can you provide us a screenshot of what is shown on your TV so we can better understand the issue you are experiencing?

We would recommend taking a look at the information provided by our Support page here: Screen mirror your Android or Windows device

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be more than happy to assist you further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
itdoesntwork
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the quick reply. I'd rather not send a screenshot as the image my TV displays has the name of my wifi on it, which is personal information. However, all the TV says is "Starting video from..." then my computer's name. The progress bar stalls at 33% ish, then times out and my computer gets a popup that says "Cannot connect" with no additional info.

Once again I appreciate the quick response.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi @itdoesntwork 

Thanks for the follow up regarding your screen mirroring issue.

Are you ensuring that your Windows PC is connected the 2.4 GHz frequency on your router and not the 5 GHz frequency? Please be aware that the Roku Express device only uses the 2.4 GHz frequency and if your computer is not using the same frequency, it's possible that this may be causing the issue you are seeing.

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be more than happy to continue assisting you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
itdoesntwork
Reel Rookie

Thank you again @RokuDanny-R, I appreciate the help.

Yes I can confirm that my PC is using the same 2.4 GHz frequency. I usually run an ethernet cable to it but when I attempt to connect wirelessly I unplug that, so it has no other option. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hello @itdoesntwork 

Thanks for responding with confirmation of what we previously inquired regarding your wireless network. It seems like you have done quite a lot of troubleshooting with this issue.

I have passed along your concerns and details to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. Once more information is available, I'll be sure to post an update in the Roku Community.

Your patience and understanding in the meantime is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos