Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Psilobite
Roku Guru

Roku gets same update every time update is run

Jump to solution

I'm running a manual update: Settings -> System -> Software Update -> Check now

It's the obfuscated update that gives a random string of text that says "Aligning solar panels...", "Supercharging your system...", "Tuning the hyper drive...", etc.

I get this update every time I do Settings -> System -> Software Update -> Check now. So something's not right.

- Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version
Device Model: 4660X - Roku Ultra
Serial Number: YJ00A4777475
Device ID: CK386A777475
Software OS/Version: 11.5.0 Build 4312-46

- Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel
This issue is with the obfuscated update that gives a random string of text that says "Aligning solar panels...", "Supercharging your system...", "Tuning the hyper drive...", etc., so I don't know if that's affecting the Roku channel, some other specific channel or group of channels, or the Roku system itself.

- Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
75-118-799 (Timestamp: 2023-03-24T11:59:10Z)

- Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
Run a manual update on a Roku Ultra 4660X (Settings -> System -> Software Update -> Check now), and you should see that the obfuscated update that gives a random string of text that says "Aligning solar panels...", "Supercharging your system...", "Tuning the hyper drive...", etc., happens every time a manual update is run.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku gets same update every time update is run

Jump to solution

Hi @Psilobite,

Saw your post!

We understand your concern that you are receiving messages from the screen when you perform a manual update and we'd like to take a closer look to see if there's anything else we can suggest to help.

To look closely into this issue, can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are experiencing? When did this issue first start occurring?

Once we have this information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Psilobite,

Saw your post!

We understand your concern that you are receiving messages from the screen when you perform a manual update and we'd like to take a closer look to see if there's anything else we can suggest to help.

To look closely into this issue, can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are experiencing? When did this issue first start occurring?

Once we have this information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
Psilobite
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I'm not sure what more information screenshots would provide to you in addition to what I posted above, but, if that's what you want, here it is:

roku_manual_update_1.jpg

roku_manual_update_2.jpg

roku_manual_update_3.jpg

To repeat what I said in my original post, the above happens every time a manual update is run, although the message changes to a different random string each time (i.e., "Aligning solar panels...", "Supercharging your system...", "Tuning the hyper drive...", etc.).

I believe this problem started happening with the set of updates for Thursday, 03/23/2023. I first noticed this problem that Thursday evening.

My Roku seems to be working fine, it's just that this update is repeating every time a manual update is run, and since this is an obfuscated update, I'm not sure what's affected and what it's trying to update; only someone from Roku would know that. I don't think most people run manual updates, so this may be a problem that's affecting more than just me.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Psilobite, I don't think it's a "problem".  It's probably just the case of these cute little phrases taking the place of a spinning graphic as it contacts the server and and does an inventory of your current channels and checks if any of them have updates.

Is there a reason why you keep checking for updates?  Most people probably never do a manual check unless instructed to, so they wouldn't see this "problem".

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Psilobite
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The information you posted above is not correct. A manual update will immediately display "All software is up to date" when there are no updates. The random string of text ("Aligning solar panels...", "Supercharging your system...", "Tuning the hyper drive...") is definitely an update, but it's obfuscated (i.e., the user is not meant to know exactly what the update entails). It should definitely not be coming up every time an update is run.

It's been my experience that when the same update is applied every time a manual update is run, that means there is something wrong with the update, as it doesn't actually get applied and then it tries again the next time an update is run.

The reason I check for manual updates is because I can. If Roku doesn't want me doing it, then they should remove the manual update screen.

I apologize if this is a problem that Roku does not want me reporting.

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Psilobite-

Roku has just begun rolling out Roku OS version 12.0.  Perhaps you are one of the first to receive it.  It would not be unusual for there to be repeated updates in very short order.

Roku menu path Settings > System > System update will show you your current Roku version number.  Down in the lower left corner of this screen it will also show you when your last update was installed.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Psilobite
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The issue appears to have been resolved.

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I get the same issue on my Roku Ultra 2017 model every time I manually check for updates. The annoying useless phrases each time.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Emissary35

Thanks for your inquiry.

To better understand the issue, could you please provide more information about the software version that you currently have on your Roku Ultra? Additionally, can you tell me what you are trying to do that leads you to update the system? Are you experiencing any issues or errors with your Roku that prompt you to manually check for updates?

Understanding this information will help us determine the root cause of the issue and provide you with the appropriate solution. Thank you for your help in resolving this issue.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi there  I'm having a issue with my tv it's been stuck on the update for 5 days now.  I reset everything unplug it it and did everything.  I'm getting  really tired of this. Now it's saying Supercharging your system.  I'm ready to get read of the Roku tv.