Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Update105bricks
Channel Surfer

Re: Time to warn others about problems with Roku Update & how it bricks TVs and streaming boxes

Jump to solution

Why is it so hard to just post the rollback directions or give us a basic gui to choose to reapply version 10.0 ya know the latest working OS?  I am tired of chasing this down just make it work remember ROKU broke our TVs this isn't our fault.  

mackguyver
Streaming Star

Re: Time to warn others about problems with Roku Update & how it bricks TVs and streaming boxes

Jump to solution

I have 3 boxes all on 10.5 4201 and here's what I see:

7101 TCL TV - All channels load and run extremely slowly.  Checking for updates is also at 2-3 minute vs. 10 second affair.

3600 - so far, so good, but just got the update today.

4800 - doesn't wake up from sleep mode automatically anymore, but otherwise okay.

Of course the TCL TV is one my wife uses 🙁.

0 Kudos
snowfox
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Add another user to the brick yard  4200X . gonna try a reboot , then maybe a wipe.  Then a chromecast.

0 Kudos
snowfox
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

They worked just fine , until they didn't.

RMc73
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just tried deleting the wifi log in and it did not fix my problem.   According to my Roku device the signal strength is high and the download speeds are good.  This is also confirmed with other wifi devices in the house.  This box worked until this morning (11/21).

Toothsleuth
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same here. My 2nd stream bar just updated apparently and now I am down to 1 tv with fingers crossed the stream stick doesn’t update. Since it came over on the ark it is probably safe.  I am so aggravating with #uselessdanny and his canned answers that do nothing. Put directions to roll back to 10.0 if you want to help us Danny.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, there is no user method of rolling back OS updates. There is a hidden menu that will sometimes permit a single version rollback, but lately reports have been that it's no longer available either. Roku will need to initiate a rollback from their end to make it happen. They have done so in the past, so perhaps it will happen again. It's very odd that some users have issues with multiple devices, while other users have no issue with any device. Unfortunately, that makes troubleshooting extremely difficult. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
pecosb1

Jump to solution

Did you try a system restart? Since the update, I have to restart my device every day when I turn it on, or the remote won't work. I use the app on my phone to control the device to restart, then it is fine, although the Private Listening has started clicking and dropping out, then coming right back on...very annoying!

0 Kudos
Quevellan
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yeah an Update History Screen with short Release Notes Summary blurb & Rollback options would be nice and a great UX improvement, whether it was made to be a "Secret Screen" or not.   But as it is now, Sending a Private Message to a Roku Tech (Roku-Danny-R in my case), with your devices tech specs and ID's, didn't result in a Private Reply (and Fwd'd email), saying to Re-Check the Roku > System > Update for the waiting (Rollback) Update back to 10.0 Build 4209 in my case.   

After re-install, and reboot, all else immediately worked nice and speedy, and the channel apps no longer claimed DRM issue(s) due to No Network Connected Detected or Available for use by the apps.

0 Kudos
RMc73
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes I did a system restart.  Also a factory reset.  None worked.  I ordered an Apple TV box last night.