Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: ROKU Premiere Stuck in endless updating loop during setup

Jump to solution

@igubler 

Thanks for the note.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can update and setup your device. Then once the device has been setup, switching back to your home wireless network.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number on the Roku device. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
ChassB
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It Just arrived yesterday, plugged it in, Upgraded, Endless Loop.
Came here looking for HELP. We're All In This Together 
Tried all the fixes mentioned, MANY, MANY, MANY, TIMES. Reset, Re Power, Hot Spot, different provider, multiple HDMI cables I have,
NOTHING HAS WORKED, Still sitting here watch bouncing, R O K U
Ready to sent it back to Walmart and hope the next one works.
One thing I did notice that it didn't do after the first few times of Reset and upgrade, maybe after the 15th time I'm guessing,It's NOW seeing my 5.8 and not just my 2.4, and yes, tried upgrading through both after 30 sec plus reset each time and HotSpot. It's not like I haven't tried.
OH YES, also tried Wired Ethernet and have rebooted my modem.
SO, PLEASE CONFIRM, I should be sending this back for replacement.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@ChassB wrote:

It Just arrived yesterday, plugged it in, Upgraded, Endless Loop.
Came here looking for HELP. We're All In This Together 
Tried all the fixes mentioned, MANY, MANY, MANY, TIMES. Reset, Re Power, Hot Spot, different provider, multiple HDMI cables I have,
NOTHING HAS WORKED, Still sitting here watch bouncing, R O K U
Ready to sent it back to Walmart and hope the next one works.
One thing I did notice that it didn't do after the first few times of Reset and upgrade, maybe after the 15th time I'm guessing,It's NOW seeing my 5.8 and not just my 2.4, and yes, tried upgrading through both after 30 sec plus reset each time and HotSpot. It's not like I haven't tried.
OH YES, also tried Wired Ethernet and have rebooted my modem.
SO, PLEASE CONFIRM, I should be sending this back for replacement.

Please confirm which model Roku you have. I don't think you have it, but the original Premiere+ 4630 had an SD card slot, and having a card inserted has caused this issue before. 

As to your WiFi situation (5.0 GHz, not 5.8), it's possible your router was using a DFS channel, which Roku (and many other devices) doesn't support. When they are set to Auto, they choose their own channel, and it might have selected a DFS channel.

As to your endless loop, it does seem like it has an issue. You mention sending it for replacement, so I'm assuming you have only recently received it. That would probably be the best thing to do. I have a Premiere 3920 that has worked flawlessly, so it's not like they are all trouble. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
mamabear

Re: Roku Ultra stuck in a continual update loop

Jump to solution

Thanks so much for writing in about this issue.  I had exactly the same issue today with my new-out-of-the-box Streaming Stick +, and tried everything suggested in this thread and was getting frustrated (hence the googling and finding this thread).

As a last effort before boxing the thing up to return it, I thought of trying to set up the stick on a different TV, and for some reason, it worked.  It may have been that it was closer to the router.  
Once setup was complete, I was able to unplug the stick and put it in the intended TV and it worked just fine.

I assume James's issue has been resolved (I hope customer service came through for you) but perhaps this will help the next person who has the issue and finds this thread.

0 Kudos
ChassB
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I tried that as well. Still wouldn't work.
Probably hit the reset more then 10 times.
Different TVs, Same room as Access Point,
Even swapped out access points, I have multiple...
Tried Wired Lan which Ultra has, unlike, other Roku Models 
Reason I bough the Ultra.
Even used phone hot spot. This thing was dead.
Not like I've never ridden in this Rodeo before.
When the Bull comes out the gate, and lays down,
Time to get a New Bull.

0 Kudos
ggmissmolly
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

well, i have. TWO devices BOTH with the 'hiccup' problem-GuessI'll go to Apple TV not happy about 2 devices dead

0 Kudos
kjhedges

Jump to solution

I had this problem with a Roku 4 Ultra Media Player.

Tried all sorts of things to resolve this issue.

My Ultra Box I bought on ebay. A US Version. Connected it all up to 4K tv and started the activation process.

It set language and network options, then went to update software. Its downloads 100% then says restarting. Within a min or so, we are back to the language network settings and then the update.

I tried all sorts of things listed. HDMI cable, different network, mobile network, different tv ect.

I then bought a new power adapter, and hey presto. Straight through the update and activation. Now working fully updated fine.

Anyways, just thought I would post this, as this was my solution to this issue and it might help someone else. the adapter cost all of £9.95 so all good.

Hope this helps

fdarilek7
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I’m having the same issue. I purchased an RCA projector during Christmas and it came with a Roku stick. I have tried downloading the software from the projector, 2 of my TVs, and a laptop and I’m getting the same looping problem. I have tried a hard reset several times with no luck. I’m not sure how I would go about getting a new stick as it came with the projector. Even though I bought it in November of 2019 yesterday was the first time we opened to use it for the holiday with the family. 😞

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello! I am having the same issue with my roku ultra, and it is brand new.  Do you have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
ChassB
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Tried everything that was suggested. Reset, different connection, Reboot Modem,  Router, HDMI Cable Swap, Finally returned for another unit.
New one worked fine out of the box.
Good Luck.

0 Kudos