Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Roku Ultra stuck in a continual update loop

Jump to solution

I’m having this same issue. I go through the setup process on my brand new Ultra and after the software update and reboot instead of going to the next step in the setup process my screen is stuck on the bouncing logo. I’ve tried everything including using a WiFi extender, using my phone’s hotspot for setup, unplugging and replugging, taking the batteries out of the remote, etc. I’m VERY frustrated and am about ready to throw it in the trash. Please help. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Jarrettsmom wrote:

I’m having this same issue. I go through the setup process on my brand new Ultra and after the software update and reboot instead of going to the next step in the setup process my screen is stuck on the bouncing logo. I’ve tried everything including using a WiFi extender, using my phone’s hotspot for setup, unplugging and replugging, taking the batteries out of the remote, etc. I’m VERY frustrated and am about ready to throw it in the trash. Please help. 

Do you have an SD card inserted in the slot on the back? If so, remove it and see if the boot will continue. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

No, no card. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Jarrettsmom wrote:

No, no card. 

OK, just had to ask. What has worked for many people is to use an alternate path to the Internet. Usually a phone hotspot will do it. Do a hard reset on the Ultra, to to start over (hold the reset button with a pin for a minimum of 30 seconds. Not one second less). Then connect to the hotspot instead of your home network. No idea why, but this works for many people. 

Dan

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I thought the reset button was in the bottom of the Ultra. That’s what I pressed to try a reset -20 seconds. Still did it. I tried using my phone’s hotspot to set up but that didn’t work either. Where is it that you inset the pin for a hard reset? Thanks. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Jarrettsmom wrote:

I thought the reset button was in the bottom of the Ultra. That’s what I pressed to try a reset -20 seconds. Still did it. I tried using my phone’s hotspot to set up but that didn’t work either. Where is it that you inset the pin for a hard reset? Thanks. 

The reset button is in different locations depending on the device. I just looked at my Ultra 4670, and it is indeed on the bottom under a soft button. You had the right button, but you didn't hold it long enough. Anything less than 30 seconds will not trigger the complete hard reset. 

Dan

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Im having the same issue with my Express. Ive tried everything mentioned in this feed, and no luck. 😞

0 Kudos
igubler

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue. 

How can this be fixed? 

0 Kudos
igubler

ROKU Premiere Stuck in endless updating loop during setup

Jump to solution

My brand new ROKU Premiere will not get past the updating stage of the setup process. Once it says the update is 100% completed, it reboots and then starts the process over again never allowing me to get past the updating stage. I have tried different HDMI ports, tried using different ways to download the updates, pushed the hard reset button...Everything I can think of. PLEASE HELP! 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@igubler wrote:

I am having the same issue. 

How can this be fixed? 

The first question with an Ultra is always do you have an SD card inserted? If so, remove it and try again. 

If that's not the issue, something that has worked for many users is to use a phone hotspot to complete the initial setup. You might need to do a hard reset with the reset button. Hold it for at the bare minimum of 30 seconds. Then set it up with the phone hotspot as the Internet source. It makes no sense, but it seems to work for many users. After setup is complete connect it to your usual Internet source. 

Dan

0 Kudos