Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamesg2
Channel Surfer

Roku Ultra stuck in a continual update loop

Jump to solution

I've been a loyal Roku customer for almost 10 years. I've bought two devices for myself and two for members of my family. After my recent experience, I'm about to just switch over to another streaming company altogether. The customer service here is virtually unresponsive. 

I bought my Dad a Roku Ultra in 2017 and it's currently stuck in a "software update" loop. I've tried everything ... direct connection to the router, hard reset, and even connecting it directly to my router which is located in a completely different household. After all of this, the same issue remains. I've been in touch with customer service for almost three weeks now and have had no resolution. I've been addressed by the wrong name and asked to try diagnostics that I've already done before.  It's as if the representative isn't even reading the issues I've been experiencing. I even tweeted to Roku as well with no success. I can't get any support and my Dad is now stuck with an unresponsive device. 

Reaching out here is my last resort. My case number is 3098346 if anyone seeing this can assist. 

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Ultra stuck in a continual update loop

Jump to solution

@jamesg2 Thanks so much for reaching out here. I'm so sorry to hear about the issue that you've run into, and the experience while trying to get this resolved. I've spoken to our support team, and we'll be reaching out to help get this taken care of for you, and get you back on track to streaming smoothly once again. 

Please keep an eye on your email for a follow up from our team, and let me know if you need any further assistance. Thanks again for your patience and understanding! 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

kjhedges

Jump to solution

I had this problem with a Roku 4 Ultra Media Player.

Tried all sorts of things to resolve this issue.

My Ultra Box I bought on ebay. A US Version. Connected it all up to 4K tv and started the activation process.

It set language and network options, then went to update software. Its downloads 100% then says restarting. Within a min or so, we are back to the language network settings and then the update.

I tried all sorts of things listed. HDMI cable, different network, mobile network, different tv ect.

I then bought a new power adapter, and hey presto. Straight through the update and activation. Now working fully updated fine.

Anyways, just thought I would post this, as this was my solution to this issue and it might help someone else. the adapter cost all of £9.95 so all good.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

80 REPLIES 80
boogernose
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Not sure what you mean by stuck in software loop. I guess that your looking at a circle arrow......

Anyways try this; Remove any SD micromemory youve added. Leave it out.

A reset would be faster and more reliable if you can use an Ethernet hook up.

Hold the reset button down for 20 seconds plus at least (it matters) while the power cord is in.

Be patient in fact go somewhere it can take a while.

Otherwise the admins will be around tomorrow be patient someone will help you.

Youve finally come to the right place.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
jamesg2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for your response. Here’s what I mean by “update loop”:

The device starts up (I see the Rolu screen/animation) and I am presented with the welcome screen where I select my language. It checks my internet connection (I get two green check marks) and then it says that the software needs to be updated to continue. It updates the software (the progress goes up to 100%), restarts, and then the whole cycle starts all over again. There is no way for me to get out of the cycle and there are no other options for me to select. I’ve gone through the whole cycle countless times but there is no way out. I thought that maybe the internet connection was dropping during the update but that’s not the case since I’ve tried wired, wireless, and two entirely different ISPs. 

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@jamesg2 wrote:

Thanks for your response. Here’s what I mean by “update loop”:

The device starts up (I see the Rolu screen/animation) and I am presented with the welcome screen where I select my language. It checks my internet connection (I get two green check marks) and then it says that the software needs to be updated to continue. It updates the software (the progress goes up to 100%), restarts, and then the whole cycle starts all over again. There is no way for me to get out of the cycle and there are no other options for me to select. I’ve gone through the whole cycle countless times but there is no way out. I thought that maybe the internet connection was dropping during the update but that’s not the case since I’ve tried wired, wireless, and two entirely different ISPs. 

It does sound like the update had a hiccup. I suggest using the hard reset to completely clear the previous attempts to set it up. I'm pretty sure you need to hold the reset button for a minimum of 30 seconds, and ignore anything happening on the screen while you hold it that long. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
jamesg2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks. I’ve tried a hard reset several times before but I’ll give it another shot and make sure to hold it for 30 seconds. 

0 Kudos
jamesg2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

No luck. I’ve tried the hard reset (holding the button down for at least 30 seconds) multiple times & I get stuck in the same system update loop. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@jamesg2 wrote:

No luck. I’ve tried the hard reset (holding the button down for at least 30 seconds) multiple times & I get stuck in the same system update loop. 

Rats, sounds like it's bricked. If it's brand new, you should be able to exchange it where you bought it. I had an Insignia Roku TV that had a similar issue, and the replacement has worked well for several years now. Unfortunately, sometimes a bad unit makes it past quality control. 

Dan

jamesg2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Unfortunately it’s almost 2 years old. Since there was nothing done to the unit on my end (no damage, misuse, etc) I was hoping Roku could help me out with alternative options. Support is just ignoring my messages though. I’m really left with a bad impression after all this. 

atc98092

Jump to solution

@jamesg2 wrote:

Unfortunately it’s almost 2 years old. Since there was nothing done to the unit on my end (no damage, misuse, etc) I was hoping Roku could help me out with alternative options. Support is just ignoring my messages though. I’m really left with a bad impression after all this. 

Perhaps @RokuTannerD can assist you tomorrow during business hours. 

Dan

RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@jamesg2 Thanks so much for reaching out here. I'm so sorry to hear about the issue that you've run into, and the experience while trying to get this resolved. I've spoken to our support team, and we'll be reaching out to help get this taken care of for you, and get you back on track to streaming smoothly once again. 

Please keep an eye on your email for a follow up from our team, and let me know if you need any further assistance. Thanks again for your patience and understanding! 

Thanks,

Tanner