Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrjr2u
Binge Watcher

Re: Change when Roku Ultra updates

So Roku support just ignores my questions. They said they would call me and did not. Sat there waiting for nothing. Now they demand I send in my ultra and once they get it they will send out the replacement and won't respond to my questions. Opposite of what they did before and they won't listen to anything I say. Pretty poor performance. Way to ignore and upset customers Roku..... your business model sure has gone in the toilet in a short period of time! Time to switch brands I guess. Pity.... they were on the mark the first time. When we dumped Cable TV we decided to get the best streaming device we could get since we would be depending on it.... we made the wrong choice obviously.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@jrjr2u wrote:

So Roku support just ignores my questions. They said they would call me and did not. Sat there waiting for nothing. Now they demand I send in my ultra and once they get it they will send out the replacement and won't respond to my questions. Opposite of what they did before and they won't listen to anything I say. Pretty poor performance. Way to ignore and upset customers Roku..... your business model sure has gone in the toilet in a short period of time! Time to switch brands I guess. Pity.... they were on the mark the first time. When we dumped Cable TV we decided to get the best streaming device we could get since we would be depending on it.... we made the wrong choice obviously.

Not sure why you wont state your TV/AVR/soundbar model(s), or how you have your Roku connected to them, since this could in fact be the source of the problem (considering you've had the same odd issue occuring with two different 4800s), or whether or not you tried configuration changes.

If you want better assistance (either from the community or from Roku themselves), you might want to provide such standard information.  That might be the "right choice" given the circumstances.

0 Kudos
jrjr2u
Binge Watcher

Not sure why you wont state your TV/AVR/soundbar model(s), or how you have your Roku connected to them, since this could in fact be the source of the problem (considering you've had the same odd issue occuring with two different 4800s), or whether or not you tried configuration changes.

If you want better assistance (either from the community or from Roku themselves), you might want to provide such standard information.  That might be the "right choice" given the circumstances.

Not sure what avr is. My ultra is connected to my tv with hdmi. No soundbar. Very basic setup. I've been through all this before. It's connected via hardwired ethernet cable to the network. There is nothing wrong with my setup or my configuration. The unit is defective plain and simple.

I sent Roku a message yesterday that they would have to wait until I got something to use in the meantime before I returned my unit. What do they respond? (Prescila is the same cs person that said they would call me)

Prescila, Jul 28, 2021, 0:31 PDT:

Our records indicate, we have not received the original unit yet. Please respond to this unit with the tracking number of the unit you returned, We will have the warehouse ship out a replacement asap. Thanks, Roku Customer Support

morons

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

The thing that I notice right away with your TV model is its native resolution:  853 x 480 (480p EDTV)

Roku devices support 720p (1280x720), 1080p (1920x1080) and 4K (3840x2160).

Your TV is not supported.

You'll either need to get another TV, or use composite/S-Video via an HDMI>composite/S-video converter.

0 Kudos
jrjr2u
Binge Watcher

Expert huh? You are wrong. This is from my manual
Stop posting in this thread with misinformation!

dd.PNG

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@jrjr2u wrote:

Expert huh? You are wrong. This is from my manual
Stop posting in this thread with misinformation!

dd.PNG

Its a 480p (852x480) TV:   

https://shop.panasonic.com/support-only/TH-42PM50U.html

http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/Panasonic-TH-42PM50U.htm

From the manual (and right below what you posted but left out):

• 1080i and 720p signals will be re-formatted for viewing on your plasma display.

Therein is the likely source of your issue - at best, the 720p is going to be "re-formatted" to 480p (the maximum resolution your TV can actually display).

Once, again, have you manually configured 720p output?  (Settings/Display type=720p TV)

and disabled automatic recovery?  (Using remote:  Home 5x, Down, Left, Up 3x , then "Disable automatic recovery")

0 Kudos
jrjr2u
Binge Watcher

Like I said, you are wrong! Go away, wow.... I never asked for your help and I don't want it! Go away

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@jrjr2u wrote:

Like I said, you are wrong! Go away, wow.... I never asked for your help and I don't want it! Go away

Its an open forum - when you post here anyone can respond.  Expecting/demanding otherwise is a bit nonsensical.

That being said, whether or not you think I'm wrong (your TV is a 480p TV that at best downscales 720p/1080i content to 480p), you should try the workaround in the previous post:  Configure 720p, disable automatic recovery.

If that doesn't work, continue your (frustrating) interactions with Roku CS, though dont expect any/quick resolution - I recommend trying some of the competitors' products to see if they operate better (FireTV, ONN, Google, etc) with your TV.

0 Kudos
jrjr2u
Binge Watcher

Update - I changed the suggested settings in the ultra with no improvement so I switched to a tivo stream 4k which performed flawlessly for quite some time. Don't care for the format though. Then, I got a new tv. It's a Sony X85J. Also got a new Roku Ultra. After a month and a half the new Ultra started doing the same thing on the new tv - that same pixelated multi colored screen and then a reboot.. I couldn't believe it. Only done it once so far but that's enough to be totally displeased with the Ultra. Never had a lick of trouble with the sticks. This is the third Ultra to have this same issue!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@jrjr2u

Thanks for the post.

We would be more than happy to continue to look further into this issue for you.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
-image of the issue happening

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos