Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlakers1
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra Causing Eyestrain and blurred vision

My Roku Ultra was updated yesterday and all screens have black backgrounds.  These black backgrounds are causing me severe eyestrain and blurry vision.  Therefore, I am not avoiding using my Roku and may not buy any more Roku streaming devices.  I plan on trying some other brand for the following reason:

There are reasons why you shouldn’t use a pure black background with white text or colorful pictures or icons placed on it because a pure black background kills all light emitting from the screen. This makes eyes work harder and open wider since it needs to absorb more light. When this occurs, the white letters or pictures can bleed into the black background and cause the text to blur. This effect is known as “halation” and it affects users with astigmatism, which people of all ages could have.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Ultra Causing Eyestrain and blurred vision

What theme are you using?  Have you tried switching to a different one?  (Settings -> Theme)

0 Kudos