Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dumbpuppy
Channel Surfer

Roku Ultra 4670x cannot play MKV files, but 4662RW Ultra LT can?

I have two Rokus:  4670x Ultra and 4662RW Ultra LT.  With both Rokus, I use the Roku Media Player.  I have some MKV files that play fine on the 4662RW, but when I try to play them on the 4670x, it gives an error:

File not Playable.  The file might be Damaged or Corrupt.

I find it strange if there are codec differences between the two models.  Any thoughts?

Here are the Specs:

4670x Ultra:

Software Version 11.0.0 build 4180-46

Roku Media Player:  5.5 build 13

4662RW Ultra LT:

Software Version 11.0.0 build 4180-46

Roku Media Player:  5.5 build 13

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Ultra 4670x cannot play MKV files, but 4662RW Ultra LT can?

@dumbpuppy 

You didnt mention whether you were using USB or UPnP/DLNA to play these files.  You should test both methods.

Make sure you check for updates again on the 4670:  Settings/System/Software update/Check now

(there are app compatibility layer updates - including RMP - that may not have been applied).

Otherwise, report this to Roku directly via the contact us/chat option.

dumbpuppy
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the Reply.  this is via playback with DLNA.  I can try to test with USB.

Both systems are fully up to date with OS and Apps. 

After trying a few things out, I did get some MKVs working on the 4670x when I re-encoded them.    At least I get Dolby Digital Plus out of the 4670x when playing them.  The files encoded for TrueHD do not play.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@dumbpuppy 

Unfortunately slight codec/capability differences do exist between models, even with the same firmware builds.

Be aware that no Roku player model supports DTHD playback - your UPnP/DLNA server may be using different device profiles and/or transcoding, which may also explain the different behavior.