Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ray12003
Reel Rookie

Roku Premiere Ultra Returns to Home screen when idle

I have a Roku Premiere Ultra and several other Rokus in the house, but we will focus on the Ultra.  I have five channels setup on the unit including Plex & Netflix. When I use the Plex channel and watch movies, tv shows etc the unit works great!  When I pause the movie or stop the playback the unit stops. However, when I return say an hour later, the Roku as gone back to the Roku home screen. WHY!? That is really annoying. I have combed the internet looking for a solution but with no solution. I have tried the solutions that have been posted, such as disable the screen saver, disable bandwidth saver etc. uninstalling the channel and reinstalling.  But nothing works, the Roku returns to the Roku home page. Annoying. By the way, I have 6 other Roku stick units and they all do the same thing! Anyone experiencing this issue? Does anyone care? 🙂  Thanks for reading. 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Premiere Ultra Returns to Home screen when idle

Could you clarify, do you have the Premiere or the Ultra? That's two completely different models. Please provide the model number (Settings/System/About). 

I only use Plex when I'm traveling, so seldom pause it for significant periods. But just as a guess, I expect Plex has programmed their app/channel to return to the home screen if paused for a long period. I know I've paused YouTube for long enough periods the screensaver has kicked in, and it's still on YouTube when I return, so I don't think it's built into the Roku OS to do that.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
hate
Reel Rookie

My brand-new Roku Ultra times out when I pause the program, and when I press PLAY, it sends me back to the Home Screen instead of back to my program. I have disabled the Bandwith Saver. So I re-installed my 2012 Roku and it does not have this glitch. Will have to return the Ultra, maybe try Apple TV? This happen to anyone else?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Any Roku from 2012 is no longer supported, so doesn't have the current OS version. It's been so long since I've paused playback for any significant length of time, I can't say if it's applicable to all devices. I do know I can pause my Shield for a long period and it usually retains where it was stopped. But it seems to be application specific, so perhaps the same is true with Roku. It might be the channel itself sending you back to the home screen, in which case Roku themselves have no control over that (other than within The Roku Channel, of course). 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos