Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NWRogue
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku OS 10.0 Update Breaks Surround Sound

Both of my TV's have WiFi and can connect to the DLNA server on my QNAP NAS device, so I can stream my ripped media that way.  Which due to the current issue is what I have to revert to anyway, so assuming no fix, I don't need the Roku device to either connect to my DLNA server or to stream from Netflix or Amazon as there are other options for that too.

My TV's are ancient, neither get updated by the manufacturer any longer but don't care what the bit rate of the audio is on my media files.

Worst case, I can attach a laptop and stream from there.

0 Kudos
Bob2050x
Streaming Star

Based on the below review that I found accidentally when looking at a sale ad, it appears that a recent update broke a Roku sound bar.

Reviewed in the United States on May 13, 2021

Size: Streambar only Verified Purchase
Christmas gift to upgrade from TV speakers. Started out great, very good sound for the size and price. Nice and easy to use, packed full of features. Sometime in February, started noticing poor sound quality. Discovered that an update causes the unit to perform poorly, especially the bass frequencies. The usual "fixes" sometimes help clear up the quality, but it doesn't last long. Haven't found any news of resolution from Roku yet. Can't recommend buying this until they fix the problem. They need to either rollback the update, issue a recall and ship out new units, or start writing checks. Not happy.

There are probably a lot more of us out there who are completely dissatisfied with Roku right now.  The Roku stock price is as of this writing, down 6.04% 
0 Kudos
matheusks
Channel Surfer

0 Kudos
gk802
Roku Guru

@RokuDanny-R 
Today's update to build 4198 did *not* solve the surround sound issue for me.  No change.

0 Kudos
Kdlaz
Reel Rookie

Looks like the update worked for me. Last night watching a movie on Showtime app, had sound bar volume turned to 75. Played same movie on same app today after update, and turned volume to 35. Showtime sound quality is always the worst for me, compared to other apps. Watched a show on HBO app yesterday, vol turned to 45, today volume 24. Much better. 

0 Kudos
matheusks
Channel Surfer

0 Kudos
NWRogue
Channel Surfer

Build 4198 installed, no difference.  No sound or load scratching (not sure how else to describe it).  Occurs on ripped media with sound quality over 160 bits.

0 Kudos

Jumping on this thread as I am having the same issue playing MP4 file from my miniDLNA server. They are AAC audio. I have been running this setup for years and my kids watch the same videos over and over. About two weeks ago the issue started.

0 Kudos
dpengel3
Binge Watcher

I don't know if this will help anybody else, but what finally worked for me ("worked" is a relative term, here) is to set the Audio HDMI settings to Dolby. Not Dolby+ and not Autodetect. Just Dolby.

0 Kudos
gk802
Roku Guru

True in some cases.  It's my experience that this solution works only if the receiving device is capable of decoding the Dolby Digital signal.  If the receiving device isn't, then it does not work, and setting HDMI to "PCM Stereo" does not appear to work, either.

0 Kudos