Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Roku OS 10.0 Update Breaks Surround Sound

@dpengel3 wrote:

I don't know if this will help anybody else, but what finally worked for me ("worked" is a relative term, here) is to set the Audio HDMI settings to Dolby. Not Dolby+ and not Autodetect. Just Dolby.

@gk802 wrote:

True in some cases.  It's my experience that this solution works only if the receiving device is capable of decoding the Dolby Digital signal.  If the receiving device isn't, then it does not work, and setting HDMI to "PCM Stereo" does not appear to work, either.

Keep in mind that for passthrough-only models (those lacking a Dolby decoder), setting it to anything other than DD+ (auto or manual) will limit the output for NetFlix/Prime/Hulu/D+/etc to PCM 2.0: these apps exclusively use DD+ and/or rely on system configuration for audio stream selection/availability.

(For those models with Dolby decoders (e.g. 4640 or 4800, or TVs), manually setting it to DD transcodes the DD+ to DD, so it isnt a problem)

So, while this may provide a fix/workaround for UPnP/DLNA streaming in some cases, it will limit output to PCM 2.0 for all of the DD+-only apps for passthrough-only devices.

matheusks
Channel Surfer

More than a month has passed, the problem has not been solved and we have not received any messages from the developers. Deeply disappointed with Roku.

gk802
Roku Guru

Not sure if it means that any action is taking place, but I was requested yesterday by first level support to provide a video of the distorted playback.  Did so.

0 Kudos
evank

My new Roku Ultra LT system surround sound is broken with the latest update.  I had to reinstall my older Roku 3 model to get my Tablo recordings to again play.  I tried all the settings for surround sound on the new model with NO JOY.  The older model works perfectly.  The update has simply broken the Ultra LT unit. No work around that I can determine.   

Update: I reinstalled the Roku Ultra LT (Model: 4662RW OS Build 10.0.0 4198-46) to do additional testing.  All my other apps Netflix, Hulu, SiriusxM and Spotify all are working normally with surround sound.  I now believe the problem now lays with the Tablo app.  Its' reporting that Roku is telling the app that there is no surround sound capability.  

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@evank

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Vijey

I am having similar issue with my Roku Ultra since the upgrade to 10.0. I hoped the release of 10.5 would resolve this. But, the issue remains. I have my Roku Ultra connected to a Marantz SR7013 in 7.3.4 setup. Unfortunately, since the uprade Roku outputs PCM if it is set to Auto. I have to manually set it to Dolby and other sound formats. Also, no Dolby Atmos either. This happens in all the channels. Is someone at Roku working to resolve this ? 

Vijey

Model : 4670X Roku Ultra

Software version : 10.5.0 - build 4191-46

0 Kudos
Bob2050x
Streaming Star

Hello,

I have 6 Roku Express Plus device's and I noticed today 11-01-2021, that one of them had updated to Software version 10.5.0 Build 4191.  So I decided to check my past video files that had the clicking noise to see if they now work.  And they DO now work!  All of my audio settings are set to "Auto".  Since I only use the the RCA jacks for audio and video output on all but 1 my options may be limited.  This fixes a big problem that a lot of users had in the past with the older build and the newer Roku Media Player.

Thank you to Roku for fixing this.

BTW, I did not have any trouble removing a channel or adding a channel and my wireless signal is okay.

Thanks.

0 Kudos