Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Roku OS 10.0 Update Breaks Surround Sound

@gk802 wrote:

(FYI, there was an RMP/RMP beta app compatibility update for OS10 released yesterday).

If you've received an update to RMP, could you post what version and build it is?  Thanks!

It was a compatibility layer update for OS10, not a version/build update (These are issued on occasion for some apps after major firmware version updates).

Bob2050x
Streaming Star

I have the Roku Express + connected using the RCA connections and it is physically not possible for me to switch to the HDMI connection.  Changing the audio from "Auto" to anything else results in no sound.  Almost all of my video files that have the sound problem are MKV format.  One group of MP4 files has the same noise problem.  I would like to try any update but I don't know how to find any beta updates.  The first time that the developers broke RMP they did, after a few days, pushed out the old RMP to everyone until they got most of the bugs worked out.  Why are they so stubborn to do that this time?  I still have my older Roku device that I am almost certain will work.  The only reason why I switched was because streaming channels would no longer work.  It seems that what Roku thinks is an upgrade is nothing more than a veiled downgrade.

Mcastano

Hi @RokuDanny-R 

I have exactly the same sound issue after upgrading my 4630X. Currently running version 10.0.0 - 4195-29. Please Roku team advise on how to fix it.

Thank you

0 Kudos
matheusks
Channel Surfer

I tried all the "solutions" suggested in that topic. None of them worked. This could simply be resolved, at least temporarily, if the developers allowed us to downgrade the system. How much longer will we have to wait until someone fix this and sends a new update? Updates that don't even arrive at the same time for all users.

Some developer could at least answer if they are working on it and if there are any predictions for the fix.

0 Kudos
NWRogue
Channel Surfer

Well, my Roku stick is broken now as well.  Any of the proposed fixes on either of mine results in no audio from anywhere, ripped DVDs, streaming services or the device itself.

So, as near as I can tell, this is an effort to force us to either re-rip hundreds of DVDs or use streaming servic es instead.  And as everyone knows how long it will take to re-rip our DVDs it would appear that Roku believes leaving it broken will force us to stream instead which is where their revenue stream is.

Well, not going there.  If it's not fixed by the end of the week, my Roku's will go out with the trash on Friday.

0 Kudos
Bob2050x
Streaming Star

I have thousands of video files that I am converting in one way or another using either Handbrake, Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate, or avidemux.  I test a single file from a certain group to see which one will be the best to use.  I have found that almost all of my problem videos are MKV with one exception was a group of MP4 videos.  So I am converting some of them to MP4 and using only AAC for the audio codec.  Sometimes converting MKV to MP4 increases the size of the file of which is not good if you want to save space.  MP4 to MP4 usually decreases the file size.  If file size increases on a test file I keep the format and just change the audio codec.  This is were avidemux shines.  Handbrake and Wondershare have the ability to do files in a batch but avidemux does not and I wish that it did because it would work great for a lot of the files but doing one at a time is very time consuming for the user.  I read about writing a programing file to do batch files in avidemux but it has been too many years since I did anything like that and I have never used Python.  If someone knows how to do this easily or recommends a different converter I would greatly appreciate it because it appears that Roku has abandoned us.

0 Kudos
Bob2050x
Streaming Star

What other devices have the ability to do what Roku/Roku Media Player does for us with respect to a hard drive connected to a router and using DLNA to play audio, video, and picture files?  Also, I have the Roku Express + that I need for the RCA outputs for older televisions that also let me connect them into my older sound systems that still sound great so changing devices that only have HDMI and using a converter would be costly and add more wires, connections, and I think another power adapter.  Or buy new televisions WITHOUT built in Roku since Roku doesn't care anymore.

0 Kudos
gk802
Roku Guru

Odd that there's over 50 replies in this thread and not even a real acknowledgement from Roku that this issue exists.  Will plan to open a third ticket with Roku support soon.

0 Kudos
gk802
Roku Guru

I'd really like to hear a response from Roku tech support that is deeper than "have you tried another TV", "have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in". 

0 Kudos
chidi
Reel Rookie

I believe what ROKU needs is a Reddit style short-sell to bring this motha down like Gamestop!

0 Kudos