Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chidi
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku OS 10.0 Update Breaks Surround Sound

Got robbed and the only mask worn was a covid mask. I have acquired several roku devices over the years and suddenly just a few days ago my roku would do nothing more than show ROKU on the screen. Tried this that and the other thing to no avail. Then I went on Google to research it out. I discovered there was an upgrade to a new Operating system sometime around May 12, 2021. No warning! Nothing. And this information didn't just jump out at me, I had to dig to find this out! I had waited a day to see if it would fix itself if there was an outage but I was having netflix series withdrawals so I rushed out and bought yet another new Roku device to add to my collection of 6. Now I am back to faster streaming than before, however none of my other Roku devices are working. Bravo! ROKU ... you really know how to rook the unsuspecting masses!

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@matheusks @Kdlaz 

Search the forum (or internet) for the procedure to downgrade the firmware (Roku discourages the sharing of the procedure and will actively delete/edit posts to remove the information).

9.4 may or may not be offered in the procedure - if it isnt, your only recourse is to report it directly to Roku:

chat or email:  https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options  (choose setup/ultra/other/need more help?)

..or to message the Roku support personnel @RokuDanny-R as indicated in his post on the first page.

0 Kudos
matheusks
Channel Surfer

I've been looking for a way to downgrade for days, but it looks like all posts with the procedure have been removed. I didn't find anything on the forum or on reddit or youtube. I will send an email to support.

0 Kudos
gk802
Roku Guru

I was able to downgrade one device to 9.4 using instructions that have since been taken down.   Unfortunately, I allowed it to upgrade again to a later build of OS 10 after reading in this thread that the problem had been resolved.  It hadn't.  The same downgrade procedure no longer works.  I've been able to keep one device on 9.4 by blocking it from the internet...which makes it useless for streaming but does allow local replay of .mp4's to continue.  So far, I have a couple of support tickets open with Roku, but I've seen no response at all.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@matheusks wrote:

I've been looking for a way to downgrade for days, but it looks like all posts with the procedure have been removed. I didn't find anything on the forum or on reddit or youtube. I will send an email to support.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/official-roku-4k-hdr-premiere-ultra-owners-thread.2604017/page-788#...

0 Kudos
matheusks
Channel Surfer

Thank you very much for the link! Unfortunately version 9.4 is not available in the procedure for me. I sent an email to support. I think I have nothing left but to wait.

0 Kudos
dpengel3
Binge Watcher

Status update: Using the update from yesterday (May 15), I can get the videos from my DLNA server to play if I select Dolby Digital (NOT Plus) in the Settings->Audio->HDMI. However, if I select Auto-Detect, it still does the scratching/popping audio.

This seems to be a big deal that affects a lot of people. Why is Roku so unresponsive about it? At the very least, they should make down-grading an option until they figure out how to fix issues.

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@dpengel3 wrote:

Status update: Using the update from yesterday (May 15), I can get the videos from my DLNA server to play if I select Dolby Digital (NOT Plus) in the Settings->Audio->HDMI. However, if I select Auto-Detect, it still does the scratching/popping audio.

This seems to be a big deal that affects a lot of people. Why is Roku so unresponsive about it? At the very least, they should make down-grading an option until they figure out how to fix issues.

Are you referring to a firmware update, or an app update?  (FYI, there was an RMP/RMP beta app compatibility update for OS10 released yesterday).

As for updates:

1)  Roku uses users' devices as their involuntary stealth firmware QA department to provide cost savings etc:  most devices sold at retail are configured to use the beta update servers, without informing the user or allow selection (opt-in/opt-out).  This is also why they do very slow limited staggered rollouts for firmware updates.

2) Roku's position (as per support personnel and their policy enforcement) is that all users agreed to forced automatic updates with no ability to downgrade (this is not in the Terms of use/Account terms), and otherwise agreed to have non-functional devices/apps until newer/fixed firmware is released.

3) Because of #1  and #2, information about the procedure/process for firmware downgrading/reverting/rollback is actively suppressed/edited/eliminated in the forums (along with the users that provide/share such information).

We (our devices) are their forever ongoing eternal active firmware QA department/beta test (this isnt unique to Roku FYI:  e.g. Microsoft moved to this model several years ago), and they arent going to give that up, so we have to take whatever measures we deem necessary to limit the negative impact of firmware updates (downgrading, changing update servers, filtering update connections at gateway/firewall, limiting network/internet access, etc).

0 Kudos
nathan_k
Reel Rookie

@dpengel3 wrote:

This did seem to work to get my audio back working correctly on my TV that don't support pass-thru / bitstream. Thanks for this find.

0 Kudos
gk802
Roku Guru

(FYI, there was an RMP/RMP beta app compatibility update for OS10 released yesterday).

If you've received an update to RMP, could you post what version and build it is?  Thanks!

0 Kudos