Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bob2050x
Streaming Star

Re: Roku OS 10.0 Update Breaks Surround Sound

I have the same build as you do but the sound on a lot of my files still do not work on a Roku Express + on an older television that uses the RCA connectors.

All worked fine before 10.

jontalk
Roku Guru

@StreamerUser wrote:

@jontalk wrote:

Glad to hear it..When I go into the 4800R audio settings there's quite a few options though the HDMI Auto is the recommended one. I notice nearly all content is streamed in DD+ and the recent update appears to have improved the quality too. 

For the 4800 the (Default) "Auto detect" transcodes/converts (almost) all audio output to the highest detected Dolby level of the connected device (you really dont want this).

"Auto passthrough" bitstreams audio in its original format (mostly) though it still transcodes DD+ to DD for legacy systems (this is the far more preferred setting).

Wow...as a deceased talk show host would say, "I didn't know that!"..I was wondering why everything streamed in DD+! Thanks for the tip!

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
matheusks
Channel Surfer

Re: Update 10 broke Dolby Digital playback

0 Kudos
nathan_k
Reel Rookie

I've been experiencing the same issue. I have three Roku Streaming Sticks and the one in my living room updated first and caused issues. I found if I switched the HDMI input to "bitstream" it worked, so I left it alone. Now the others have updated and those TVs don't have that option and I haven't figured out a way to resolve the issue. My biggest issue I face is when using the Roku Media Player app, but that doesn't mean I won't run into it on other apps as well. Roku needs to release a firmware update to solve this issue.

0 Kudos
dpengel3
Binge Watcher

Has anyone else noticed, with this issue, that the video is not smooth either? On mine, the video skips/jumps a few frames at a time during the scratchy/poppy audio.

dpengel3
Binge Watcher

I also have this problem when the Audio->HDMI setting is set to PCM Stereo (no Dolby at all).

0 Kudos
JeffP21
Reel Rookie

I think because I am a Newbie on community I cannot see you link for downgrade prcess used .

The 10 OS broke volume control on 3 Ultra's we have with voice remote.

I am looking to downgrade so it remotes will work again.

Is there some way you can provide the downgrade link so I can access it?

Thank You

0 Kudos
Kdlaz
Reel Rookie

I see I am not alone in sound issues with this latest Roku update 10.0.0.  I have a sound bar hooked up to my living room tv and once I updated my Roku, I now have to turn the volume up 2 to 3 times higher than normal, depending on the format of what I am watching/listening to. With one app, I had to turn it up to max volume just to hear it at all. I tested it thru the tv speakers to see if it was the soundbar, and had the same problem. My other TVs are fine but the remotes have lost their pairing with the tv. Easy fix on that, just repair the remote. But the volume issues in the living room are quite annoying.  Roku needs a bug fix ASAP.

0 Kudos
matheusks
Channel Surfer

I read that some people have downgraded the firmware, but I can't find this option anywhere, not even in the "secret menu". Could anyone help with that?

0 Kudos
Kdlaz
Reel Rookie

I can't figure out how to downgrade either. Any help would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos