Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rumplestilts
Binge Watcher

Roku Media Player app - Epic fail...

Oh my God! The Roku Media Player app has become absolutely awful.

1. FF, Play/Pause, and REW buttons do nothing. 
  2. FHD media that worked a few versions ago now constantly cycles between a black screen with "Loading..." and a second of playback. I've had to re-encode some media to 720p in order to get it to play properly.

If there were other DLNA media player apps from which we could choose, there might be options but I can't find any.

My workaround is to install Emby on my network media server (an old Mac) and uninstall Serviio. It's a pain (as I'd love to stick with a DLNA server as there are many free options out there) but without viable alternatives to the RMP, I guess I'm SOL.

The Emby server has many more functions than I require but it appears I can disable many of them. The Emby app for Roku seems to work fine with the various button and FHD media.

**bleep** shame...perhaps Roku's management is more interested in selling me more content than preventing their RMP developer from screwing up what used to be a perfectly working app.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
rumplestilts
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Media Player app - Epic fail...

Add'l info regarding Emby: It may be configured (with one checkbox) to present the content of locally networked DLNA servers. So the Emby app on my Roku now displays all the content in my existing Serviio DLNA server. That is slick. I can remove the folders/content I had added to the Emby server.

Now to see if the Emby server can run on the same Mac mini as the Serviio server. If all the Emby server is doing is forwarding the content to the Roku Emby app, then we might have a nice alternative to that *bleepy* RMP app until Roku decides to pay attention and fix the darn thing.

0 Kudos
CrusaderRabbit
Channel Surfer

I'm using a Buffalo NAS Unit (LS220D; 12TB in RAID1) for my DLNA Server and have no problems with movies at all.  My only issue is with playing MP3 files; if you have the screensaver ON, it stops after 2-3 tracks.  If you turn it off, they play okay.

FYI... here's a link:  https://www.buffalotech.com/images/product_images/LS220D_Datasheet.pdf

Good luck...

Gary-94080
Roku Guru

@CrusaderRabbit 

do you also have the problem with audio files "stuttering" when going to the next track and the persistent resume marker not starting some tracks at the beginning?  I only use Roku for audio files, but only to test it when updates come out (for almost 1-1/2 years).  otherwise it is Apple TV.   FYI I have a Sysology DS218+ with 2 4TB drives.

0 Kudos
CrusaderRabbit
Channel Surfer

When playing music via the Roku M1001... no issues at all!

When playing music files via the television/Roku Streambar Pro and Roku Ultra, no issues except when the screensaver is set to "ON" (plays 1-2 songs then stops).  I solved the problem of having the same image on the television by blanking the screen (Vizio feature).

0 Kudos