Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ricsanto

Roku Express stuck initial setup language option

Hello Folks!

After the initial configuration it crashed (frozen) I did a hard reset by pressing the physical reset button for 10 seconds and now it does not exit the language configuration screen, in fact it already loads this initial language screen stuck.

I tested it on two different Samsung TVs.

Does anyone who's been through this have any tips? Or just changing the device?

Thanks!

Ricardo

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Express stuck initial setup language option

Some Roku devices have a button for RESET and some have just a hole.  So, unless this doesn’t matter to you, what is the model number of your Roku device?

Check to see if your Roku is powered through the TV’s USB port or the wall outlet.  If it’s powered through the wall outlet, you probably bought a defective Roku unit.  If it’s still under warranty, you could probably return the unit to the store for a replacement.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @ricsanto

Thanks for posting here in the Community!

As mentioned by @Michelle3 in their post above, please make sure that your device is powered through the wall outlet. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Furthermore, you can also check if the issue is the remote. You can try the troubleshooting steps suggested in this Support link: How to fix your Roku® voice or simple remote that is not working.

Let us know how it goes.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@RokuKariza-D  FYI they actually didn’t use their Remote to reset the device.  If you read the initial post again carefully, it states they tried to reset the device by pressing the physical RESET key somewhere on the device unit.  So the problem they’re experiencing may also be with the device unit itself.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
ricsanto

Thank you all for your attention.
My device has the hole, I did the reset through it and then I fell on the initial language screen.
I don't believe it's the remote control given that 1) it was working at the time of configuration and 2) I tested it with other batteries that I know are ok, and I can't use the remote control via the app since the network configuration has been deleted.
The model is Roku Express and the serial ends with 30BR.

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@ricsanto  There are several variations of the Roku Express and the Express +.  My Express+ (bought online from Walmart back in Feb 2020 when they still had it in stock) is a 2017/2018 model 3910X.  Despite still using the 2017 model number, the 2018 copyright was on the packaging when I got it, which makes me guess I own one of the last 3910 units sold by Roku ‘cause production of that one was discontinued back in the summer of 2018 in favor of the Premiere+ 3921.  The model number should be found on either the bottom of the packaging or the bottom of the unit itself.  Something like “Model No.” then usually the four digits followed by the letter “X.”

~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
ricsanto

For the record:
I tested with the power supply via outlet, without success, same error.

0 Kudos
ricsanto

As I understand it is a model made right here in Brazil.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@ricsanto

Thanks for the response.

Please reply here with the serial number of the affected Roku device. It can be found at the back or underneath the player itself. I'll be able to further assist you from there.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@RokuKariza-D  They also should provide the model number, also underneath the unit itself, given that several variations of the Express were released.  ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos