Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GoAvsGo
Reel Rookie

Roku Express Won't Update

Jump to solution

We have a #Roku Express and Hulu stopped working. It won't load and just crashes after trying to use it. So we went to do a manual update because it said its last update was in January 2022, which was 7 months ago. So we went through the steps to do it and after the reset, it still says there has been no update. We tried resetting in the settings and manually and the same problem exists. We did a factory reset and got it hooked up to wifi/internet, but then it has to update. The same thing happens where the update screen comes up and it goes through 100%, but when it comes back on, there is no update. So now we have gone through that numerous times with the "Let's Get Started Screen." Nothing happens. We are stuck in a Roku Non-Update Groundhog Day. It's very frustrating. Does anyone have any advice or have you seen this happen before?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Express Won't Update

Jump to solution

I’m assuming you have a defective Roku device.  What is the model number of your Express device?

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I’m assuming you have a defective Roku device.  What is the model number of your Express device?

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
GoAvsGo
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yeah that sounds right. It's a 3900X.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@GoAvsGo 

Before concluding you have a defective device, try the following.

1. Try using power adapter at wall if currently using TV's USB power port.

2. Try using a mobile hotspot (if available) on the 2.4ghz band to get past setup or to update the device.

----

Feel free to post back with an update.  

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It should also be noted that the letter “X” indicates the Roku device itself.  There are also letters “R” (Retail) and “RW” (Retail, Walmart); today, those codes additionally indicate the packaging for the Roku device and its accessories.  There’s also CA (Canada) and MX (Mexico).

~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
GoAvsGo
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the ideas. We use the wall port all the time. We tried making our phones hotspots and connecting, but the connection wasn't strong enough. We don't have an independent hotspot. We have really good internet, so I think we are just going to have to buy a new one. We got it in 2019, so maybe that's just how long they last. 

Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@GoAvsGo  
I still own the Roku Express+ 3910 (with the analog outputs) after over two years.  Bought online from Walmart back in February 2020.  Hopefully, my Roku device will last longer than your problematic Roku.

~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos